Eeva Ruotsalainen, assistant chief physician at the HUS Clinic of Infectious Diseases, says that the corona epidemic in the HUS area is in an accelerating phase.
According to THL's new face mask recommendation, during the acceleration phase, the mask should be used not only in public transport but also in public interiors, public events and secondary schools and colleges.
The Swede welcomes the new strong recommendation.
According to him, the use of a mask could prevent, for example, the quarantine of an educational institution in a situation of mass exposure and ensure the continuation of contact teaching in the classroom or in schools.
- For example, if a student in the class is corona-positive, and in addition to him, everyone uses a face mask, then he will not practically get infected, says Ruotsalainen.
The same principle works in congestion and on public transport.
- When everyone wears a mask, you will not get infected and you will not get infected.
Then masked people are not considered exposed and do not need to be quarantined, Ruotsalainen says.
He recalls that safety distances and hand hygiene are still extremely important, even if the mask is used.
- It is especially important to pay attention to the safety intervals when eating, because then the mask is naturally removed, says Ruotsalainen.
According to the Swede, the implementation of the mask recommendation in educational institutions requires advance planning and precise guidance.
The epidemic situation is also different within Uusimaa, so the guidelines are implemented by municipality.
Based on the incidence rate, nine out of 20 hospital districts are in the acceleration phase of the epidemic.
The THL has defined an acceleration phase limit of 10 to 25 infections per 100,000 inhabitants over a two-week period.
According to the Swede, the limit value in the HUS area has already been exceeded several weeks ago.
- In part, we have already been in the acceleration phase, but the number of cases remained stable on a weekly basis.
Last week, however, the number of cases almost doubled from 130 to 225, and at the same time the incidence of two weeks rose to 21 per 100,000 inhabitants, the Swede says.
Helsinki Mayor Jan Vapaavuori said on Twitter on Twitter that the Helsinki Metropolitan Area's corona coordination working group has entered the corona epidemic.
The coordination working group includes Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Hus, the Southern Finland avi and THL.
- As a result, cities will start implementing THL's recommendations today, Vapaavuori writes.
- With regard to the mask recommendation for secondary schools and upper secondary schools, the PKS cities will jointly outline in the coming days how and when the recommendation will be implemented in practice.