Tennis’s 17-time grand slam winner Novak Djokovic continued to get his rejection at the US Open at a press conference at a mass tournament in Rome.
The men’s singles first player, Djokovic, was disqualified last week in the 4th round of the US Open when the ball he struck hit line referee Laura Clark’s throat.
- I was really sorry for the shock I did to him.
It was completely unexpected and very unintentional, but when you hit the ball that way, there is a chance to hit a person on the field, Djokovic told reporters.
- The rules are clear, so I accepted and moved on.
However, the Serbian star admitted that moments of frustration will probably continue to be seen from him.
- I cannot promise or guarantee that I will never do anything like that again.
I try to be the best version of myself on and off the field, and I understand that such outbursts of anger have always been part of my nature.
I consider this a profound moment of learning for myself, Djokovic said, according to Reuters.
A Masters-level mass tournament moved from the spring will be played in Rome this week.
Also involved is mass champion Rafael Nadal, who dropped out of the US Open.
The loss suffered in New York was Djokovic’s first on this year’s tour.
According to the Serb, a quick return to the playing field is a good thing for him.
- I think the sooner I get back to competing, the sooner I can get over that memory.
I don’t think going back on tour will cause me any bigger problems.
The third value tournament of the season, the French Open, is scheduled to start on September 27 in Paris.