Stay informed of the developments surrounding the corona virus at home and abroad in our live blog.
Record number of 78,761 infections in India
India registered 78,761 new infections on Sunday, a record for the number of daily corona infections in a country. The total number of infections in India has thus increased to more than 3.5 million. The death toll rose by 1,012 to 62,550 on Sunday.
Despite the record number of infections, the Indian government has announced some relaxation. For example, trains will run again and religious gatherings of up to a hundred people will be allowed again from next month.
3 minutes ago
2 hours ago
Australia reports more deaths, but infections are falling
Australia reports a record number of deaths infected with the corona virus on Monday, namely 41 people who died within 24 hours. Especially in the state of Victoria, many people who were infected with the corona virus die. There have also been 123 new Australian infections, the lowest number in one day in the past two months.
5 hours ago
Unemployed youngster causes first increase in social assistance recipients in 3 years
The number of Dutch people receiving social assistance benefits increased for the first time in three years in the past quarter. The main cause is an increase in the number of unemployed young people, the CBS reports Monday.
The number of young people up to the age of 27 who received social assistance benefits in the second quarter was more than 5 percent higher than in the same period in 2019. According to CBS economist Peter Hein van Mulligen, the cause should, not surprisingly, be mainly sought in the corona crisis.
Relatively many young people have lost their jobs since the outbreak of COVID-19. "And because young people have not worked for many years and have therefore built up few unemployment benefits, they are more likely to be on social assistance," explains Van Mulligen. Read more here .
5 hours ago
UK reports largest number of infections since the beginning of June
In the United Kingdom, 1,715 new infections were reported in the past 24 hours, according to government data. That is the largest number since June 4. In total, nearly 340,000 infections have now been diagnosed in the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. To date, more than 41,500 people in the UK have died from the corona virus. That is the fifth largest number of confirmed deaths in the world.
5 hours ago
The Amstelveen police ended an illegal party on Saturday night in the parking lot of the town hall on the Laan van Nieuwe-Amstel, let it know on Twitter. Hundreds of people would have attended the party, according to AT5 . Images show how the parking lot was left strewn with balloons. Before the party ended, the partygoers received a warning.
Last night an illegal party was organized behind the #municipal house in #amstelveen. Must have been fun and cozy, but forbidden. See below the mess left behind. The @Gem_Amstelveen will have to clean it up again 😪.Avatar
5 hours ago
The most important corona news of Sunday, August 30, the
- In the past 24 hours, 508 new infections were reported to the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM). This means that the number of new cases has been hovering around last week's daily average for four days.
- RIVM reported three hospital admissions and no new deaths. In total there are 94 patients with the corona virus in the hospital, two fewer than yesterday.
- Most new positive tests were in Amsterdam (62), The Hague (59) and Rotterdam (50).
- There are 33 corona patients in intensive care units (ICs), one less than the previous day. Ernst Kuipers of the National Acute Care Network says that the decline in the number of COVID patients in the ICUs and in hospitals continues "unchanged".
- Minister Wopke Hoekstra (Finance) has been tested negative for COVID-19. On Friday, the minister appeared on a screen at a press conference, because he was suffering from a cold.
- As of Sunday morning, more than 25 million people worldwide have been confirmed to be infected with the corona virus, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.
- Most infections are reported in the United States (5,961,581). In second place comes Brazil (3,846,153), followed by India (3,542,733).
- More than a thousand students at the University of Alabama have tested positive for the coronavirus since lectures there restarted two weeks ago.
- In the United Kingdom, 1,715 new infections have been reported in the past 24 hours, according to government data. That is the largest number since June 4.
- A Belgian epidemiologist warns that the Swedish approach to the coronavirus may soon lead to a new peak. The epidemiologist works for the Swedish Karolinska Institute.
- The number of infections in Germany has increased by 785 in the past 24 hours to a total of 241,771. It is almost half the number of infections a day earlier, when 1,479 new infections were registered.
5 hours ago