The purpose of the holiday is recovery, and recovery is especially important now for many after a heavy coroner spring.
- Both the excessive pace of work and the constant uncertainty that has existed during the spring can both increase stress, which is reflected in the brain and thinking, says brain researcher Katri Saarikivi.
He reminds us that a good holiday is unique to everyone, and everyone has experienced spring in their own way. For many, however, after the stress of an exceptional time, it can be good to vacation idle without a bad conscience.
Brain researcher Katri Saarikivi (pictured) encourages laziness on holiday.
Photo: Rio Gandara
- If possible, then the summer vacation could be completely lazy and do nothing. Plan your days though so that there are no more than one or two things in the program - it could be a good bet after a spring like this.
Read more: One way to start a vacation is best for the brain - the psychologist does it himself
If a full calendar causes stress in everyday life, the same phenomenon should be avoided on vacation.
- This is also a bit of a question of personality, someone can get a lot stressed out that there is no plan, Saarikivi says.
- But if you’re one of those people who gets stressed out of constant doing, don’t rush your calendar so full of holiday spending that it becomes palpitations. Then the holiday will not do its job.
Do not skip this character
A clear symptom of too much stress and the need to recover is if your head seems to be in overdrive and you don’t remember things and it’s hard to concentrate.
- If you have such a hard pace at work that you feel like you don’t remember anything, it’s a clear sign of too much stress that is already starting to affect brain function.
According to the researcher, this sign should be taken seriously.
- You can handle a hard pace for a while, but if you have stress for a long time, it starts to wreak havoc on your brain. The condition is identified by the symptoms of thinking: there is an inability to concentrate and memory problems as well as irritability and impulsivity.
Read more: These signs already speak of too much stress - “Get used to the symptoms too easily”
Sleep is number one
The same recommended lifestyles that otherwise support well-being and health promote brain health.
- One thing that has been talked about a lot in recent years, but which is still too little for many people of working age, is sleep.
Adequate sleep improves brain health in many ways and brightens thinking.
- Sleep is the number one thing to invest in. During sleep, the brain cleanses itself, information is organized, and decisions are made even better when you are able to exercise them during sleep.
Let your brain be idle
When on vacation, it is easier for the brain to be given breaks from performing even when awake, which restores and also increases creativity.
- When the swan is in the brain, the brain network is activated, which I call the idle network. When this network is up and running, thoughts get lost, and more creative thoughts come to mind.
Read more: Researcher explains why the brain needs idling - “from a Lutheran perspective, of course, it’s a sick idea that there should be idle at work”
The state of mind is different from constant attention and performance, and many find it very relaxing.
- It seems that this supports human well-being and also improves the quality of thinking. You can be more inventive and make better decisions about your life when you let your brain be idle in between.