Hanau / Berlin (dpa) - After the allegedly racially motivated attack in Hanau, numerous AfD politicians have given complicity.

"Of course there is a direct connection between the strengthening of the AfD and the increase in right-wing violence," said Lower Saxony's Interior Minister Boris Pistorius (SPD) to the "Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung". Meanwhile, the investigation into the bloody deed with eleven deaths continues at high pressure on Friday.

Pistorius complained that foreign citizens were denied human dignity. "This is so dangerous because it only leads some to take action. Here, fatal disinhibition has gotten underway and the AfD is partly to blame."

In an interview with the "Rheinische Post" (Friday), the FDP interior expert Konstantin Kuhle calls for consequences for state security policy. In particular, the dealings with the AfD must be changed. "The pressure to persecute the overlap between right-wing terrorism and AfD must increase significantly after Hanau."

On Wednesday evening, a 43-year-old German in Hanau shot nine people with foreign roots from allegedly radical and racist motives. According to the investigators, he later killed his mother and himself.

The Council President of the Evangelical Church in Germany, Heinrich Bedford-Strohm, told the "Rheinische Post" (Friday): "Anyone who covers right-wing extremists in a party shares responsibility if their ideologies are heard." In "Mannheimer Morgen" (Friday), the Mannheim political scientist Rüdiger Schmitt-Beck described right-wing agitation and the call by AfD politician Björn Höcke for political subversion as a "license for attacks".

Numerous AfD politicians had previously made allegations. Labor Minister Hubertus Heil (SPD) described the party as an arsonist, SPD general secretary Lars Klingbeil called it the "political arm of the extreme right". Norbert Röttgen, who is applying for the CDU chairmanship, told the "Bild" newspaper: "We have to fight the poison that the AfD and others carry into our society."

AfD Bundestag faction leader Alexander Gauland had rejected the allegations. "I think it's shabby to exploit something like this during the phase," said Gauland in Potsdam on Thursday. It is an obviously completely mentally confused perpetrator, "and we do not want to talk about left and right here. It is a crime."

The argument that the perpetrator may have been mentally ill was not accepted by CDU politician Armin Laschet on the ZDF program "Maybrit Illner". "There have always been mentally ill people. But they have not become murderers. They become murderers because this aggression is fueled in a society." Both anonymous hate speech on the Internet and the language of "elected parliamentarians" always "expected" that there would be "a madman", said the Prime Minister of North Rhine-Westphalia.

The Federal Prosecutor General and the Federal Criminal Police Office are likely to investigate, among other things, whether Hanau's marksman had helpers or confidants. The 43-year-old German had shot at his victims in several places; the fatalities were between 21 and 44 years old. A Romanian citizen is among the fatalities, as President Klaus Iohannis confirmed on Friday night via Twitter. Romanian media reports say he is a 23 year old man.

The investigators assume a "deep racist outlook" for the marksman. This is indicated by video messages and a pamphlet that the man left on the Internet. According to the responsible district authority, he had two weapons legally.

Many questions remain unanswered, including whether the shooter was mentally ill and had delusions. So far, the investigators have published little information about the end of the violence on Wednesday evening, which began around 10 p.m. The perpetrator was active in a Frankfurt shooting club, but according to the association, he was never noticed as hostile to foreigners.

Politicians called for cohesion in society in response to the crime. Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier visited the crime scenes in Hanau on Thursday evening and met around 20 victims' relatives with his wife Elke Büdenbender in the town hall. He then took part in a memorial service.

"Today is the hour when we have to show: We stand together as a society, we do not allow ourselves to be intimidated, we do not diverge," said Steinmeier at a vigil in front of around 5000 participants. He spoke of a "terrorist act" because it should spread fear and terror. There were also memorial services and vigils in numerous other cities. Numerous top politicians also took part in the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

Hesse's Prime Minister Volker Bouffier (CDU) called for a joint approach against the "climate of agitation and violence". Society must "counter this not only here in Hanau, but everywhere," he said on Thursday evening on ZDF. It is an "everlasting task" to protect all people.

Federal Minister of the Interior Horst Seehofer (CSU) also visited Hanau on Thursday and found out about the attack. He announced that he would examine political consequences. Other legislative changes may also be necessary. What has recently developed in the area of ​​right-wing extremism is very worrying. Together with Federal Minister of Justice Christine Lambrecht (SPD), Seehofer will speak at a press conference in Berlin on Friday.