On Tuesday, in an interview with SVT's Veckans brott program, prosecutor Krister Petersson, the lead investigator for the murder of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme, said that the case would be closed by summer. According to the prosecutor, the case is being prosecuted or the investigation is being closed in some other way.
According to the Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, the man who had already died was to be found guilty. Christer Pettersson, who had already been sentenced in the District Court to life imprisonment for Palme's murder in 1988, would not be the culprit.
Pettersson was later released by the Court of Appeal because of insufficient evidence. Pettersson died in 2004.
According to Aftonbladet, no one would be condemned for the murder of Palme, but the investigation would be closed upon the death of the suspect. According to the magazine, the name of the dead man would have come up during the investigation, but not Christer Pettersson but someone else.
Swedish media have said today that police have recently heard from people about Stig Engström, a Skandia man who was the first witness to arrive at the Palme murder site. Engström has also been one of the suspects during the investigation. He died in 2000.
Aftonbaldet has said that police have been focusing on Engström in his investigation since 2018 and wanted to ask him about, inter alia, Palme's widow Lisbet Palm.
A well-known Swedish criminologist, Leif GW Persson, also told Expressen on Tuesday that he believed it likely that the murderer of Olof Palme was dead.