Prime Minister Mark Rutte did not want to comment on questions about when he was aware of the fact that civilian casualties were caused by Dutch air strikes in Iraq in 2015.
"We will first list all the facts and then inform the House," said the prime minister. He doesn't think his position is in danger.
Rutte made an irritated impression at his weekly press conference after the Council of Ministers and repeatedly referred to his comments earlier this week.
Rutte said on Wednesday that he could not remember that he was informed about the attacks on the Iraqi cities of Hawija and Mosul in which 74 people died.
"There is nothing to it," the prime minister said at the time. He didn't want to say anything else about it at the press conference on Friday. "I have already given a first response."
Rutte is in a difficult position
Rutte is in a difficult position. On Tuesday evening, the House of Representatives debated with Minister Ank Bijleveld (Defense) about the bombing. The cabinet member of the government barely survived a vote of no confidence on Tuesday.
She had to answer for the fact that her predecessor, former minister Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, misinformed the Chamber.
Hennis-Plasschaert informed the House in 2015 that no civilian casualties had occurred during attacks, while it later turned out that the ministry had an internal report and an American report stating that it was "credible" that there were civilians involved in the attack in Hawija. life had come.
Minister Bijleveld added on Tuesday that not only Hennis-Plasschaert knew about the civilian deaths, but also Prime Minister Rutte's Ministry of General Affairs.
SP Member of Parliament Sadet Karabulut emphasized in an earlier response that it is important to know when the prime minister was informed of this. "I want to know, because if he has taken note of the content, he has maintained the lie that there have been no civilian casualties in recent years," she said this week.