Despite a ban on demonstrations, thousands of people have once again taken to the streets in Hong Kong. Dozens of people were arrested on Saturday. The police used tear gas, rubber bullets, pepper spray and a water cannon. Radical activists threw incendiary bombs, built roadblocks, and attacked shops suspected of involvement with the Chinese government. For the first time, the protesters also attacked the Chinese official news agency Xinhua and hit the windows in the entrance area.

After the police had not previously approved a demonstration originally planned in the Victoria Park, candidates for the district council election gathered there spontaneously for campaign appearances, which do not have to be specifically approved, as long as the groups remain small. Nevertheless, the police dissolved the meetings early with tear gas. The subsequent clashes in the streets in the neighborhood also put a quick end to two approved demonstrations at Chater Garden and Edinburgh Place. The riots lasted until the evening. The Hong Kong Central Subway Station was closed and stopped after demonstrators reportedly set fire to an entrance, according to the South China Morning Post .

Among the demonstrations was the well-known Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong, who had been excluded from the upcoming municipal elections in the Chinese Special Administrative Region a few days ago. The harder intervention of the police makes it increasingly difficult in Hong Kong to exercise the right to freedom of assembly, the 22-year-old wrote on Twitter. "But we do not give up our constitutional rights." Wong became famous in 2014 for the "umbrella" protest movement.

On Friday, the Chinese government announced it would tolerate "no activity" that would split the country or endanger national security. Beijing also wanted to "strengthen national consciousness and patriotism" in Hong Kong "through education in Chinese history and culture."

It was the 22nd weekend in a row that demonstrations took place in the Chinese Special Administrative Region. The protests in the former British Crown Colony were initially directed against a planned law designed to allow renditions of suspects to mainland China. Meanwhile, they generally oppose the Prussian leadership in Hong Kong and the restriction of democracy. The demonstrations are always in violence. Among other things, banks and businesses were brought in, which are linked to the Chinese central government.