Washington / Riyadh / Ankara / Berlin (dpa) - US President Donald Trump has targeted Iran after the attacks on oil installations in Saudi Arabia as a potential responsible.

"It looks like Iran is behind the attacks," Trump said Monday at the White House in Washington. Trump also emphasized that the US did not want a war with Tehran.

Saturday's attacks fueled fears of a military escalation in the Middle East and drove oil prices higher. Germany, Russia and China called on all concerned on Monday to prudence. The situation is already tense: Since the unilateral termination of the nuclear agreement with Iran by the US government over a year ago, the conflict between Washington and Tehran has been aggravated.

Some members of the US government had made Iran directly responsible for the drone attacks - for example, Foreign Minister Mike Pompeo. Trump was not so clear on Monday. "We definitely have to find out who did it," he said. The investigations continued. "I do not want to go to war with anyone." But the United States is prepared for a conflict. "That was a big attack. He could easily be returned from our country with a much, much bigger attack. "

The seriousness of the situation was also demonstrated by a meeting in the White House on Monday, where Trump was briefed by Pentagon executives on the situation, said Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper on Twitter. Esper accused Iran of "undermining" the international rules-based order.

Iranian President Hassan Ruhani defended attacks from Yemen against targets in Saudi Arabia. Ruhani did not comment on allegations by the US that Iran was involved in the drone strikes on the largest oil refinery in Saudi Arabia. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tehran had previously rejected the allegations as absurd.

"Because the US policy of maximum pressure on Iran has failed, the Americans have now switched to the maximum lies," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi. What happens in Yemen is simply the resistance of the Yemenites "against the war crimes of the military coalition headed by the Saudis" - and the Yemenis have a right to "resist the destruction of their country".

At the weekend, the Houthi rebels were known in Yemen for the attacks. Saudi Arabia is leading a military alliance that fights the Houthis in Yemen with air strikes. The Sunni kingdom sees the rebels as a close ally of its Shiite arch rival Iran. The Houthis regularly attack Saudi Arabia with drones and rockets. US government officials said media reports said the weekend's attacks were so complex that the Houthis could not have carried them alone.

Saudi Arabia announced its intention to invite the United Nations and international experts to participate in the investigation. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh declared - as had previously been a Saudi military spokesman - Iranian weapons were used during the bombing on Saturday. The target of the attacks was primarily the international energy supply. The Saudi oil company Aramco had to stop about half of its production.

Since the attacks on Saturday, the oil market is in a state of emergency. Oil prices rose more than on Monday for decades. They initially jumped by almost 20 percent. Later, the increase weakened slightly.

In Germany, the attacks fueled the debate over the resumption of arms exports to Saudi Arabia. The Greens in the Bundestag reject a demanded from the Union resumption of arms exports in the Kingdom from.

"It is crazy, in view of the escalation in the Gulf, the risks there with further arms exports even more increase," said the Green Defense politician Agnieszka Brugger the German Press Agency. The human rights situation in Saudi Arabia and the bloody war in Yemen have not changed. A German arms export stop to Saudi Arabia expires on 30 September.

Trump tweet to Saudi Arabia

Trump tweet to Iran