Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Slob hopes that advertising-free NPO programming will not be affected

2019-09-11T14:32:34.678Z

Media minister Arie Slob does not think that the programs will run with the public broadcaster under the intention of making public channels advertise, which some parties in the Lower House warn against.


Media minister Arie Slob does not think that the programs will run with the public broadcaster under the intention of making public channels advertise, which some parties in the Lower House warn against.

"I think that is a quick reflex. I will not go along with that", de Slob said during a debate in the Lower House on Wednesday.

Slob insisted on his intention to make the public service broadcaster free of advertising until 8 pm in order to protect children against it. Complaints must be kept online. "That is a major, major step."

The Chamber debated Wednesday on the long-awaited government vision on public service broadcaster Slob announced for the summer.

GroenLinks and PvdA, among others, fear that this will inevitably cut staff numbers that are directly involved in making programs. "The workload is already very high. The bottom is already in sight," said PvdA MP Kirsten van der Hul.

The NPO warned last week that Slob's plans will lead to "substantial cuts in which programming intervention becomes inevitable". The Advisory Council for Culture (RvC) also does not agree with the plans and argued last week, among other things, that it would continue to allow advertising online.

GroenLinks MP Lisa Westerveld asked Slob to take these proposals seriously. "We are surprised that the NPO is not compensated." She wonders whether there will still be a public service broadcaster in ten years.

But Slob believes that politicians themselves should keep a finger on the pulse so that programming is not affected. He also made a call to the broadcasting bosses. "I hope for the sincere will of the people in Hilversum to fully spare the programs."

Government compensates NPO with 40 million euros

The NPO is struggling with declining advertising revenues. The broadcasters are compensated for this by 40 million euros from the government.

The way of watching television has changed considerably. More and more streaming services such as Netflix are being watched and online via YouTube, for example. The cabinet therefore wants to take a "meaningful step" to another broadcasting system.

Most changes will only be implemented by 2021. The precise details will be announced on Prinsjesdag.

Source: nunl

You may like

News/Politics 2019-09-10T01:19:50.746Z

Trends 24h

Latest

© Communities 2019 - Privacy