Kashmir: China demands meeting of the World Security Council
The UN Security Council is scheduled to meet this week in Kashmir. India had deprived the region of its autonomy - without the consent of the inhabitants and Pakistan.
According to diplomats, China has requested a meeting of the UN Security Council over the dispute between India and Pakistan over the Himalayan region of Kashmir. The People's Republic, which is one of the five veto powers of the panel, thus supports a claim of Pakistan. The reason for this is the decision of the Indian government to take Kashmir's special rights away from the part of its control and to integrate the mainly Muslim-populated area into predominantly Hindu India.
At the request of China, the meeting should take place on Thursday or Friday behind closed doors. In return, France pushed for a less formal meeting of the Council next week. Now Poland, which currently has the presidency, must try to find a common denominator. According to Pakistan, among other things, since 1965 there has been no major meeting of the Security Council on Kashmir.
In a letter to the Security Council, Pakistan's Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi wrote on Tuesday that the conflict was a "threat to world peace." Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan accused India of planning attacks on the Pakistani part of the mountainous region; he threatened with retaliation.
The Indian government deprived the Jammu and Kashmir region of autonomous status at the beginning of last week without first asking or informing the population of the area. Since then, thousands of soldiers control the cordoned off area, a curfew is in force. India and Pakistan have been fighting for the Himalayan region for more than 70 years. Two wars have already been conducted. Both nuclear powers each dominate a part of Kashmir, another part belongs to China.
- Kashmir Conflict: Pakistan requests urgent UN Security Council meeting 2 months
- Pakistan requests UN Security Council meeting on Kashmir 2 months
- Source: UN Security Council to hold a meeting on Kashmir on August 16 2 months
- Kashmir crisis .. Go to a closed meeting of the Security Council and Pakistan vows India 2 months
- Clashes in Indian Kashmir ahead of UN Security Council meeting 2 months
- Kashmir at the Security Council table .. Criticism of China and India refuses to intervene 2 months
- Pakistani Prime Minister welcomed UN Security Council meeting on Kashmir 2 months