PostNL suffers from high absenteeism due to the corona measures. In addition, the company has to deliver far more packages than usual at this time of year. "This has created a backlog, which should be eliminated on Friday and Saturday," a spokesperson told NU.nl on Friday.
As a result of the measures, work can also be slower. "For example, it is now necessary to provide the last three digits of the identity card for parcels that normally have to be signed for," adds the PostNL spokesperson.
The volumes of parcels are now as high as in the Christmas period, normally the busiest time of the year. "With the difference that we are preparing for the Christmas period by deploying extra cars and people. The boom that we are dealing with now, we could not see coming very long in advance." And there are far fewer employees due to absenteeism.
PostNL adheres to the guidelines of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) for employees. "So if they have a cold or a roommate, they stay at home. That's why we also have a very high absenteeism rate." According to the spokesman, Tuesday has always been the busiest day of the week. "Backlog has now arisen on that day." The packages that have been left since then should be delivered in the next few days.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in our live blog.
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- The corona measures have resulted in an infected person infecting less than one other person on average. Previously, this so-called reproduction number was between two and three.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.