Europe 1 with AFP / Photo credits: LUCAS BARIOULET / AFP 20:05 pm, August 08, 2023The Marseille prosecutor's office announces that two of the five police officers taken into custody Tuesday night as part of an investigation into the death of a 27-year-old man, Mohamed Bendriss, on the sidelines of the riots in early July, have been released.
Two police officers were released and three others remain in custody Tuesday night as part of an investigation into the death of a 27-year-old man, Mohamed Bendriss, on the sidelines of the riots in early July in Marseille, the prosecutor's office said. "The release by the investigating magistrate of two police officers placed in custody is confirmed," said in a statement Tuesday evening the prosecutor of the Republic of Marseille, Dominique Laurens, adding that "the custody of the other three police officers are maintained". She gave no further details.
>> READ ALSO – Woman sequestered in Forbach: the prosecutor evokes a "non-existent reality"
The death of Mohamed Bendriss in early July
The five police officers of the Raid, an elite unit, had been taken into custody in the morning as part of an investigation into the death of Mohamed Bendriss, which occurred on the night of July 1 to 2 in Marseille.
Mohamed Bendriss is the only death recorded to date on the sidelines of the urban violence unleashed in several cities of France and over several days following the death of the young Nahel, killed by a police officer during a road check in Nanterre at the end of June. He was probably hit by a flash-ball shot, the prosecutor's office said in July.