Two workers have died at a smelter that produces metals such as lead and copper. It is believed that he suffocated by inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning the container.
This is UBC reporter Gyu-tae Kim.
accident occurred at the Onsan smelter of Korea Zinc yesterday (30th) around 9:34 am.
A 35-year-old man and a 41-year-old man B belonging to this company collapsed while cleaning around a place where metal materials were received and temporarily stored when melted.
The employees who suffered the accident were found lying here by a colleague.
Immediately after discovery, he received CPR and was taken to the hospital, but both died.
It is believed that he suffocated by inhaling poisonous gas.
[Korea Zinc official: There was an accident presumed to be asphyxiation. There is also a nitrogen line... .] The
police, the Ministry of Environment, and the Ministry of Labor are conducting joint investigations on the spot.
[Field investigation official: At the site, (toxic gas levels) are coming out normally. (Can the figure suddenly rise even in an open place like this?) We need to investigate further.] The
Korea Zinc Onsan Refinery was included in the workplaces with serious accidents announced by the Ministry of Employment and Labor in February this year.
The police plan to request an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death and investigate whether safety measures are taken against on-site safety managers, etc.