The Dutch are again cautiously on holiday in European countries. A corona app has already been deployed in a number of countries around us to alert people if they have been around a COVID-19 patient. We list the status of corona apps in the main European holiday countries.
How does a corona app work?
The exact operation may vary by app, but most work in a similar way.
Via the Bluetooth connection on your phone, it is checked which smartphone users who have also installed the corona app come near you. When you meet another user, the app stores a unique code associated with a user. Once someone tests positive for the virus, users who have been around can receive a notification.
All apps currently used in Europe store data anonymously.
The corona apps are developed separately per European country and initially only collect data from users of the relevant app. The intention is that the apps will eventually also be able to communicate with each other via European cooperation.
Denmark - Smittestop
- The Danish app is actively used
- Smittestop is available for download in the Play Store and App Store
Germany - Corona-Warn App
- The German app is actively used
- Corona-Warn App is available for download in the Play Store and App Store
Italy - Immuni
- The Italian app is used in the worst affected regions
- Immuni can be downloaded from the Play Store and App Store
France - StopCovid France
- The French app is actively used
- StopCovid France is available for download in the Play Store and App Store
Poland - ProteGO Safe
- The Polish app is actively used
- ProteGO Safe is available for download in the Play Store and App Store
Austria - Stopp Corona
- The Austrian app is actively used
- Stopp Corona is available for download in the Play Store and App Store
Spain - Radar COVID
- The Spanish app is available, but is still in the testing phase
- Radar COVID is only available for download in the Spanish Play Store
Switzerland - SwissCovid
- The Swiss app is still in the testing phase
- SwissCovid is available for download in the Play Store, the beta for iOS is full
Countries that are still working on the app
- Portugal - comes with an app this summer
- Norway - discontinued app after privacy issues
- United Kingdom - is completing the first test
A corona app is also being worked on in the Netherlands. Minister of Health, Welfare and Sport Hugo de Jonge aims to be able to tell more about the use of an app in the Netherlands in mid-July. The app is currently being tested on a limited scale in Twente.
Check the travel advice
Most countries in Europe are now accepting tourists from the Netherlands again. Before traveling, check the website of the National Government to see if special measures apply in the country where you are going on vacation.