Facebook will examine the existing content policy, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced on Friday. The company has been criticized in recent weeks, including from Facebook employees, for its decision not to take action against a controversial message from Trump.

Zuckerberg wants to look at other ways to deal with content that violates all or part of the platform's rules. At this point, Facebook only has the choice between completely delete the post or leave the post.

Zuckerberg's statement comes after a fuss has arisen about a message from Donald Trump on the platform. In the report, Trump threatens to use violence against protesters in Minneapolis who took to the streets after the death of a black unarmed American by a white police officer. "When the looting starts, the shooting begins," the US President wrote.

Facebook had decided that the message could remain on the platform and took a different approach than competitor Twitter, which shielded the threat. That position has led internally to employee protests.

Struggled with decision to leave Trump message

"I know many of you think we should have somehow labeled the President's messages last week," Zuckerberg wrote Friday. "We're going to look at other options for dealing with content that violate all or part of Facebook's guidelines, other than the hard choice between leaving or deleting a post."

Internal recordings earlier this week revealed that Zuckerberg plans to reconsider Trump's message policy. In the audio recordings, Zuckerberg says that he struggled with the dilemma of whether or not to leave the message visible.

Zuckerberg also says that Facebook is more committed to racial justice and promises to develop tools to encourage users to vote in elections.