Two external hard disks with a backup of 6.9 million donor forms with registrations and changes to the Donor Register in the period 1998-2010 have been lost, writes Minister Hugo de Jonge of Health, Welfare and Sport, in a parliamentary letter on Tuesday.

It concerns a total of 6.9 million forms, says a spokesman for the CIBG, an executive organization of the Ministry of Health, to NU.nl. It contains the first and last name, date of birth, social security numbers, address details, and the reason for registration or change in the donor register.

It is not known when the hard drives disappeared. The CIBG discovered last week that the discs were no longer in the safe where they were stored. The organization wanted to destroy the paper archive of the Donor Register. There is a digital copy of this archive on the hard disks. According to the spokesperson, the hard writing is "probably not secured".

The CIBG believes that the risk of identity fraud on the basis of the data is limited, because it does not concern copies of identity documents, financial data or (DigiD) login codes. "In addition, we currently have no indication that the data is in the wrong hands. We advise you, as always, to be alert to unexpected mail," the CIBG said.

"Very annoying that it happened"

"I find it very annoying that this has happened", writes De Jonge in the House letter. "It is extremely important that the public, on the eve of the coming into force of the new Donor Act on July 1, can rely on a careful and well-protected handling of personal data by the Donor Register. That trust can be damaged by a data breach. "

The BRIC has reported the data breach to the Dutch Data Protection Authority and has requested the Central Government Audit Service (ADR) to conduct an independent investigation into the breach. The spokesperson emphasizes that nothing has happened with the digital donor register. According to De Jonge, the data breach has no consequences for organ and tissue donation procedures.