A chimney fire, quickly circumscribed and which did not make a victim, declared itself Sunday at the beginning of evening in the famous restaurant La Mère Poulard, in Mont-Saint-Michel, one learned from the authorities Prefecture of the Channel.
The chimney fire, which broke out between 18h and 19h, was "very quickly circumscribed" and "there was no injury," explained to AFP the deputy prefect of Avranches, Gilles Traimond, who went there. "About fifty firefighters, from the Channel and Ille-et-Vilaine, were hired, they worked remarkably well and kept the fire going and prevented its spread," said Traimond. The fear on the Mount, he said, is that, as the houses are terraced, a fire spreads quickly to nearby buildings.
At the moment the fire broke out in the fireplace where are prepared the famous omelettes that made the reputation of the place, "forty people were in the restaurant and twenty in the hotel" on the same site, a- the same source said, stating that all were evacuated without problem. "It's not very bad," but the restaurant is likely to be closed for a while, he said. It will indeed assess the effects of the fire on the building and the safety commission will also pass. "The sweeping is done very regularly but the duct goes up four floors and these are old stone pipes," said Mr. Traimond. "You can not take a light in such a site lightly," he said of the important means deployed to overcome the disaster.