On 18 June 2019, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) declared the planned car toll in Germany to be inadmissible - but at that time contracts had already been signed with the future operators of the toll systems. These must therefore be compensated. A billionaire mortar for the taxpayer, which would have been avoidable according to media reports.
As the mirror reports, Federal Transport Minister Andreas Scheuer (CSU) met on November 22, 2018 with the bosses of the operators Eventim and Kapsch. According to the magazine, Eventim said the eventim offered to sign the contract after a ruling that was still pending at the time.
Scheuer is said to have rejected, as the paper reports, citing insiders. He therefore did not want to delay a toll start and raise the levy before the parliamentary election 2021. This led to the signing of the contract at the end of December 2018 - and finally to the compensation payments to the operators.
One day after the verdict that the toll violated EU law, Scheuer rejoined the meeting, according to the report. According to the Spiegel , at this meeting Scheuer should have urged the operators to take over the responsibility for the premature conclusion of the contract.
Actually, the Federal Government - at the urging of the CSU - wanted to introduce a toll on cars. Because the Christsozialen but no longer wanted to burden the local car drivers, they should be compensated in another way, for example by a lower motor vehicle tax. Austria, on the other hand, complained to the European Court of Justice and was given the right. This practice discriminates against EU foreigners, the judges complained.