At only ten years old, Nolan died Saturday, following his disability, reveals Le Parisien . He was one of fifteen children who had eaten steaks sold by Lidl, in 2011, in the Hauts-de-France. The baby boy had ingested, at 23 months, one of these steaks contaminated with the bacterium Escherichia coli. After this intoxication, Nolan lived eight years of ordeal.
>>> READ ALSO - The week in which Lidl found himself at the heart of the scandal
Because of the bacteria, Nolan suffered severe neurological damage. He could not walk, talk, or eat. He lived in a wheelchair and his bones broke very easily. Reached diabetes, "it was powered by probe" with "taking medication several times a day, regular stays in the hospital," told AFP Me Florence Rault, the lawyer of the family of Nolan. "His body finally gave up", "consequence of all these pathologies that have only worsened and have completely deteriorated" his state of health.
For not having carried out checks on the chopped steaks produced by his company, Guy Lamorlette was sentenced in 2017 to three years of prison including two farm and 50,000 euros fine. After his conviction on appeal, Guy Lamorlette's lawyer had indicated that he was serious about filing an appeal on points of law.
"A little bit of decency"
After the death of the boy, Me Florence Rault wishes that the head of company gives up to file an appeal in cassation. "Now that Nolan is gone, we could hope that he shows a little bit of decency," she says at the microphone of Europe 1. "It may be time to stop the procedures and to take into consideration the conviction that has been pronounced and finally assume its responsibilities. "
He has "not paid any damages" to Nolan's family for the moment, said Florence Rault to AFP, adding that "Nolan's parents are in despair and the greatest deprivation. ". "They had a lot of debt to support Nolan and have no money for funeral expenses," she said.
In 2011, fourteen other children were intoxicated by eating these chopped steaks. If Nolan was by far the most affected, some children still have serious consequences today including major kidney failure.