Handball World Cup: Brazil beats Russia
In Germany's group, Brazil surprised against Russia. In addition to the cheering Brazilians, the DHB supporters may look forward to - at least with regard to the semi-finals.
Brazil beat Russia at the Handball World Cup in Germany and Denmark. 25:23 (15:10) won the Brazilians in Group A against Russia, which had lost a point on the eve of Germany. Best thrower of the match was Brazil's Felipe Borges with seven goals.
Especially in the first half, Brazil played a big role. The South Americans led at half time already 15:10. Brazil goalkeeper Cesar Algusto Almeida fended off regular free-time attempts and came up with strong eleven saves. Also put the Russians repeated supposedly simple goals past the gate.
Even as superior to Germany Timur Dibirov could not prevent a defeat of his team despite six goals. Instead, he saw the red card shortly before the end because of an assault.
The win means that Brazil overtake Russia in the group - and can reach the main round with a win against outsider Korea on Thursday. Russia must play against France on the final group match day. The victory of the Brazilians has also increased the German chances for a semi-final.
The results against the advancing teams in the group stage are taken into the main round. Because the German team won against Brazil, the DHB selection would take in the case of a progress Brazil two instead of just one point in the main round.
- Handball World Cup: Germany and Russia draw 3 months
- Handball World Cup live scores: Russia vs. Germany 3 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany's group opponents Russia 3 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Germany wins against Brazil 3 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: What Germany learns from the win against Brazil 3 months
- Second victory in the Handball World Cup: Germany leaves Brazil no chance 3 months
- Handball World Cup live scores: Germany vs. Brazil 3 months