USM Alger crowned Confederation Cup champions USM Alger with the African Super Cup for the first time in its history on Friday with a 1-<> victory over Champions League champions Al-Ahly of Egypt in an exciting match held at King Fahd International Stadium in Taif, Saudi Arabia.

Zinedine Belaid scored the penalty in the 43rd minute, depriving Algerian rivals Al Ahly of extending their record as they had previously won the African Super Cup eight times.

The referee awarded the penalty after reviewing the video technology following Marouane Attia's tackle on Brahim Ben Zaza in the area.

USM Alger players celebrate after scoring the goal against Al Ahly. 🤩 #TotalEnergiesCAFSC | #SuperAfricaInTaif | @USMAofficiel

— CAF 🏆 Super Cup (@CAFCLCC_ar) September 15, 2023

This is the second title for veteran coach Abdelhak Benchikha in the competition after winning it with Morocco's Nahda Berkane at the expense of local rivals Wydad last year's African Champions League.

The referee canceled a goal for Al Ahly at the beginning of the first half.

In the eighth minute, Imam Ashour shot from outside the area a ball that bounced off goalkeeper Osama bin Butt to Mahmoud Abdel Moneim (Kahraba) to shoot the ball into the net, but the referee canceled the goal after calculating a violation on the latter.

How beautiful those moments are! 🤩

🇩🇿 The moment USM Alger was declared champions of the CAF Super Cup. 🔴⚫️ #TotalEnergiesCAFSC | #SuperAfricaInTaif

— CAF 🏆 Super Cup (@CAFCLCC_ar) September 15, 2023

Exciting match

The match was full of excitement from the start, and the Algerian team started the match strongly with Khaled Boussilo firing a ball in the second minute that was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Mohamed Chennaoui.

In the 12th minute, Nabil sent Amara a ball into the Ahli penalty area from a free kick on the head of his colleague Tomisang Uriboni, but Shenawi saved the situation.

Kahraba then passed a ball to fellow Moroccan newcomer Reda Slim, who was alone in goal, but the USM Alger goalkeeper saved his shot brilliantly.

In the 26th minute, Kahraba fell inside the penalty area and the referee returned to the video technology but gave a yellow card to the striker amid strong objections.

Half an hour later, Tunisian Ali Maaloul passed to his Moroccan teammate Slim, who shot from the left of the area that was saved by the USM Alger goalkeeper.

In the fifth and final minute of stoppage time for the first half, Hussein Al-Shahat exchanged the ball wonderfully with Imam Ashour to shoot the latter ball from the left of the penalty area saved by the
USMA goalkeeper after several attempts preceded by Al-Ahly to draw.

Ahli rushed strongly with the start of the second half and passed Shahat ball to his colleague Selim, but almost to overwhelm the goalkeeper.

Al-Shahat then shot from a free kick from outside the area, but it hit the defense and Ali Maaloul posed a lot of danger.

Al Ahli made two changes in the 65th minute with the participation of Percy Tau and Salah Mohsen and the exit of Marwan Attia and Reda Selim.

The USM Alger goalkeeper saved a dangerous ball with his fingertips from Kahraba in the 73rd minute.

Al Ahly goalkeeper Shenaoui saved a dangerous attempt from the Algerian team before Percy Tau shot a strong ball that deviated from goal in the 83rd minute.

Al Ahly pressed hard in the final minutes, but the Algerian team's organized defense denied the Egyptian team an equalizer.