Exit the Rugby World Cup 2023 for the pillar of the XV of France Mohamed Haouas. The rugby player, placed a few days in provisional detention after violence against his wife on the public road, was sentenced, Tuesday, May 30, in Montpellier, to one year in prison, but without continued detention.
This judgment, which comes some 100 days before the start of the international competition, seems to end the hopes of selection of Mohamed Haouas a few weeks before the announcement of the official list of players selected to represent the France. The French Rugby Federation (FFR) described the behaviour of the international pillar as "unacceptable" and "incompatible with the representation of our nation at the international level".
"Being a member of the France team implies an irreproachable respect for the values of respect and integrity. Firmness is our duty in such circumstances," added Serge Simon, vice-president of the FFR in charge of France teams, quoted in the statement where the body expressed "its dismay".
"The staff of the XV of France will speak on June 7 at the press conference of the coach and the general manager initially planned," said the FFR, suggesting that the career in Blue Haouas, selected sixteen times in the France team, was over.
Earlier, the Clermont club – which the 29-year-old stalwart was due to join next season – had announced that he "will not be able to wear, on the field, the colors of the club". "The charges against Mohamed Haouas, which he acknowledged, are unacceptable," the ASM said in its statement.
➡️Communication Mohamed Haouas The justice has just rendered its decision in the case of "domestic violence" concerning Mohamed Haouas
By his behavior Mohamed Haouas puts himself in total opposition with our identity and our convictions, and in the state of the elements of which... pic.twitter.com/AufZ1g1QGl
— ASM Rugby (@ASMOfficiel) May 30, 2023
"Risk of major repetition"
The criminal court of Montpellier finally did not follow the prosecutor, who had requested a total of 18 months firm with warrant of detention and therefore continued detention against the player of the MHR, tried for hitting his wife Friday, after he saw her smoking a cigarette in front of the shopping center where she works.
The player, who had been detained pending his trial in immediate appearance, left at the end of the hearing to the prison for release formalities.
The prosecutor had asked for two years in prison, including one year suspended probation, for the blows to his wife, as well as the revocation of six months suspended sentence for a previous burglary case – in which the Montpellier player had been sentenced to 18 months in prison suspended – for a total of 18 months.
The magistrate had also requested the continued detention of the MHR player, married and father of two children: "I ask for continued detention to protect madame, the risk of repetition is major," she explained.
"You have asked for a sentence that will destroy a family," replied in defense the lawyer of the player, Me Marc Gallix. "A slap can happen, but he didn't beat her. I am asking for a sentence with probation with an obligation to treat himself," he continued.
The court rendered its decision after a brief deliberation, thus sentencing the player to a sentence of one year firm, but adjustable. The judges also awarded one euro in damages to Mohamed Haouas' wife, who did not file a complaint but was a civil party.
She had assured during the hearing that it was the first time he had raised his hand on her. "She wants to find this (Tuesday) evening her husband, the father of her children, to be able to discuss what happened, perhaps with a third party," said her lawyer, Florian Medico.
Selected 16 times in the jersey of the France team, Mohamed Haouas sees his sporting career darken. Excluded against Scotland in February, during the last Six Nations tournament, after a first red card received against the same team in 2020, he was however already in the hot seat sportingly.
The MHR player had already been convicted in February 2022, for burglaries of tobacco shops in Montpellier, in 2014. On 12 May, during a second trial, for his participation in a violent fight on 1 January 2014, the prosecution had requested a two-year suspended sentence. The deliberations in this case are expected on June 30.
The summary of the week France 24 invites you to look back on the news that marked the week
Take international news with you everywhere! Download the France 24 app