Six days after the chaos at the Champions League final, the European Football Union (UEFA) has apologized to viewers.

"No football fan should be put in a situation like this and it must not happen again," said a statement released by the continental federation on Friday night.

It addressed fans who had "experienced or witnessed frightening and horrifying events" ahead of last Saturday's final in Paris.

UEFA reiterated that it had launched an independent investigation into the incidents, led by former Portuguese Environment Minister Tiago Brandao Rodrigues.

It is intended to "determine deficiencies and responsibilities of all bodies involved in the organization of the final".

Champions League winners Real Madrid had previously defended their fans and called for the events to be clarified.

"We want answers and explanations as to who is responsible for leaving the fans helpless and defenseless," said the Spanish record champions in a statement on Friday.

Instead of a football festival, the final of the premier class, which the royal team won 1-0 against Liverpool last Saturday, became an “unfortunate event” for many fans that caused “deep outrage worldwide”.

The final at the Stade de France in St. Denis was only kicked off 37 minutes late after there had been chaotic scenes around the stadium.

Long lines had formed in front of the entrances, there was a great crowd, and the police also used tear gas.

Recordings had shown that "many of the fans had been violently attacked, harassed and robbed," wrote the Madrilenians: "Football has given the world an image that is far removed from the values ​​and goals that it must always pursue."

The incidents on Saturday resulted in a total of 238 injuries and 105 arrests, and around 2,700 fans with a valid ticket were unable to enter the stadium.

According to the French government, a massive ticket fraud had led to the difficulties at the Stade de France.

Keywords: