The United Nations intervenes in the case of the disappearance of a Chinese tennis player who accused an official of sexual harassment
The United Nations called on China on Friday to provide evidence of the safety of tennis star Peng Shuai, who went missing after accusing a high-ranking Communist Party official of sexual harassment.
According to a
the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Liz Trosl told reporters in Geneva ,
obtain proof of their location and safety ,
she said ,
call for a
transparent investigation fully into accusations associated with
sexual assault," stressing that "sexual assaults occur in all societies".
On social media, 35-year-old Peng Shuai accused former Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli, who was one of the country's seven most powerful politicians between 2013 and 2018, of forcing her into a sexual relationship three years ago before making her his lover.
Throssell confirmed,We are keen to stress that it is very important to know where she is, what her condition is and how she is doing.”
In recent days, figures in the tennis community have expressed their concerns about Peng Shuai via Twitter with the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai (Ain Peng Shuai).
Chinese censorship erased any trace of the player's accusations on social networks.
The original post, which was broadcast on Weibo, was quickly deleted, and Agence France-Presse was unable to verify its authenticity.
Since then, the player has not communicated directly and has not appeared on any public occasion.
Follow our latest local and sports news and the latest political and economic developments via Google newsKeywords: