Stephen Hendry has failed to qualify for the World Cup snooker.
The seven-time world champion, who is making a comeback after a nine-year absence, stranded on Thursday in the second qualifying round in Sheffield, England.
The now 52-year-old Hendry, who won 36 ranking titles in his career, is seen by many as the best snooker player of all time.
De Scot ended his career in 2012, but announced that he wanted to return in the autumn of 2020.
Earlier this year, Hendry made his return to the Gibraltar Open, where the snooker legend lost in the first round.
"My game is not yet good enough to qualify for the World Cup", said the former world number one at the time.
A month later, it turned out in Sheffield, where the qualifications for the World Cup started this week.
In the first round he still eliminated his long-time rival Jimmy White, but against the Chinese Xu Si, the number 82 in the world, Hendry lost 6-1.
"I barely contributed to this game," said Hendry, according to
"I really didn't hit the ball very well at all and because of that my confidence ebbed away. I didn't expect to be able to win four games here, but after my victory over Jimmy I had hoped to be able to relax a little more."
The World Cup snooker starts on April 17th.
It is one of the events designated by the UK government for spectator testing.
At the final in May, the Crucible Theater in Sheffield is likely to be completely filled.