Feyenoord experienced a gloomy evening in the Europa League on Thursday, but keeps wintering in its own hands.

The team from Rotterdam lost 0-2 to Dinamo Zagreb and saw two players again injured with Bryan Linssen and Uros Spajic.

The defeat means that Feyenoord is number three in group K of the Europa League.

Next week will have to be won at Wolfsberger AC to reach the knockout phase of the Europa League.

The Austrians were 0-1 too strong for CSKA Moscow on Thursday and climb to second place in the group at the expense of Feyenoord.

They have two points more.

Zagreb, which is now certain of the next round, took a lead against Feyenoord in the final seconds of the first half thanks to a penalty by Bruno Petkovic.

Early in the second half Lovro Majer made it 0-2 against the overwhelmingly impotent Feyenoord.

Trainer Dick Advocaat saw the injury list in De Kuip keep getting longer and will have to continue puzzling with his line-up in the coming period.

Linssen had to change in the first half with a hamstring injury and in half time Spajic was also unable to continue with a head injury.

Bryan Linssen had to be changed in the first half.

(Photo: Pro Shots)

Fans encourage Feyenoord

Feyenoord started the match against Zagreb in good spirits.

The players bus was welcomed by hundreds of supporters at the stadium, which was accompanied by torches and fireworks.

However, the spectacle on the field failed to materialize, because Feyenoord was sloppy and predictable.

For a long time, Zagreb did not play much either, which meant that a fairly boring game took place in Rotterdam.

After Linssen dropped out after more than half an hour, Feyenoord's game did not get any better and the visitors from Croatia came through dangerously a few times.

On the stroke of half time it hit one of those moments.

At the moment that Feyenoord was with ten men due to an injury treatment by Spajic and everyone was already thinking of a 0-0 half time score, the referee gave a penalty after a foul by Orkun Kökçü.

Petkovic simply hit the target.

Due to a penalty kick, Feyenoord fell behind in the first half.

(Photo: Pro Shots)

Zagreb strikes quickly after the break

After the break, Feyenoord's last hope for a good result soon faded.

After an attack, the ball reached Majer, who finished from close range.

Goalkeeper Nick Marsman still hit the ball, but could not prevent a hit.

With that goal the match was decided.

Feyenoord tried to attack, but just like in the first half was not in a position to really force anything.

The biggest chance was wasted by substitute Naoufal Bannis.

Feyenoord, which ended the game with six yellow cards, has to win next week at Wolfsberger.

The Austrians were earlier in the group phase with 1-4 too strong in De Kuip.

See also: We will see these clubs back in the Champions League and Europa League after the winter

View the results, the standings and the program in the Europa League