Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman confirmed on Wednesday that the transfer of Sergiño Dest from Ajax to FC Barcelona is as good as complete.

He called the nineteen-year-old right back, who will be presented on Friday, a purchase for the future.

"Dest is in the middle of the medical examination and has yet to sign his contract", Koeman told Wednesday at his press conference in the run-up to Thursday's away game against Celta de Vigo.

Reportedly, Barcelona pays about twenty million euros for the young American international, who has a Dutch mother and grew up in Almere.

He does not seem to immediately be able to count on a basic place under Koeman.

"He will be taken with a view to the future and will have to compete with the other fullbacks. We can use him well. Dest is still young, but already has experience in the Champions League."

Ronald Koeman on Sunday during the 4-0 win over Villarreal.

(Photo: ANP)

'Dembele must be patient'

Koeman also discussed the situation of Ousmane Dembélé, who is linked to Manchester United.

The French attacker came to Barcelona three years ago for 105 million euros, but has made little impression since then.

Also under Koeman, the 23-year-old Dembélé has no basic place.

Last Sunday, at the successful league debut of Koeman against Villarreal (4-0), 17-year-old Ansu Fati was preferred.

Fati scored twice.

"It's not up to me, but up to the club and the player to decide what they want," said Koeman about a possible departure from Dembélé.

"He has improved physically, but he has to be patient until it is his turn to play for Barcelona."

The match between Celta de Vigo and Barcelona starts on Thursday at 9.30 p.m.

It will be the Catalans' second game in La Liga this season.

View the program and the stand in La Liga