The Dutch handball players were Tuesday in the draw for the qualification of the European Championship of 2022 in a group with Slovenia, Poland and Turkey.
The Orange is going to hunt for the second European Championship participation ever. The team of national coach Erlingur Richardsson was present for the first time in a European championship in January. Despite a historic victory over Latvia, the Netherlands was eliminated in the group stage.
The handball players will play at home and against the three opponents between November and May next year. The numbers one and two and the four best numbers three of the eight qualifying groups qualify for the upcoming European Championship (January 13-30, 2022 in Hungary and Slovakia).
Slovenia is the toughest opponent in the group from the Netherlands. The country finished in fourth place at this year's European Championship and recorded two victories over the Orange during the qualifying matches for that tournament.
Poland stranded in January, just like the Netherlands, in the group stage of the European Championship. The Eastern European country lost all three games in the ninth European Championship participation. Turkey has never qualified for a European championship.
The handball players were scheduled to face Austria in the 2021 World Cup playoffs this month, but those qualifying matches were dropped due to the corona crisis. The Austrians were selected to participate in the World Cup on the basis of a better result at the European Championship.
Draw European Championship qualification
- Group 1: France, Serbia, Belgium, Greece
- Group 2: Germany, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Estonia
- Group 3: Czech Republic, Russia, Ukraine, Faroe Islands
- Group 4: Iceland, Portugal, Lithuania, Israel
- Group 5: Slovenia, the Netherlands, Poland, Turkey
- Group 6: Norway, Belarus, Latvia, Italy
- Group 7: Denmark, North Macedonia, Switzerland, Finland
- Group 8: Sweden, Montenegro, Romania, Kosovo