With the arrival of Carlos Sainz, Ferrari will have the youngest driver duo of the team for fifty years next year. The 25-year-old Spaniard succeeds Sebastian Vettel (32) and will drive with Charles Leclerc (22).

"We think that with the talent and personalities of Carlos and Charles, we have the best possible duo to achieve the goals we have set for ourselves," said team boss Mattia Binotto on Thursday. "This will be the youngest Ferrari duo in fifty years."

Ferrari has been waiting for a world title with the manufacturers for twelve years and it has been a year longer since a driver became world champion in the legendary red car. Binotto hopes to revive the old successes.

"We are embarking on a new cycle, with the aim of returning to the top. It will be a long journey that will not go without problems, especially given the current uncertain situation," said the Italian team boss.

Last year in his debut season with Ferrari, Leclerc performed better than the ten-year older Vettel, who announced Tuesday to leave at the end of this year. The future of the four-time world champion is still unclear.

Sainz previously drove for Toro Rosso (where he was Max Verstappen's teammate), Renault and McLaren. "In the past five seasons, Carlos has proven to be very talented and to have the technical qualities and characteristics that make him a perfect fit for the Ferrari family," said Binotto.

See also: Sainz replaces Vettel with Ferrari in 2021, McLaren captures Ricciardo

Sainz is looking forward to Ferrari future

After Fernando Alonso (2011-2014) and Alfonso de Portago (1956-1957), Sainz is the third Spaniard to drive for Ferrari. The Madrileen finished sixth in the World Cup position last year. He is succeeded at McLaren by Renault driver Daniel Ricciardo.

"I am very happy to drive for Ferrari from 2021 and look forward to my future with the team," said the son of rally driver Carlos Sainz Sr., who will sign for two seasons. "But I still have an important year to go at McLaren and I'm looking forward to racing again."

The new season is expected to start on July 5 in Austria, although that has not yet been officially confirmed.

I'm very happy that I will be driving for Scuderia Ferrari in 2021 and I'm excited for my future with the team.I still have an important year ahead with McLaren Racing and I really look forward to go back racing with them this season .

AvatarAvatar AuthorCarlossainz55Moment of places09: 47 - 14 May 2020