The players of FC Barcelona will, in addition to their salary reduction of 70 percent, make an extra financial contribution. This will benefit the club's employees, who will receive their full salary during the corona crisis.
Last Thursday, Barcelona announced that player and staff salaries will be cut by 70 percent. Due to the corona crisis, the Spanish top club is currently missing a lot of income and must therefore cut costs.
According to Spanish media, the Barcelona players council previously rejected a proposal from the club about salary cuts. Lionel Messi says Monday that none of this is true and therefore has no good word for the reports that have appeared in the media.
"A lot has been said and written about us. I would like to clarify that it has always been our will to apply a salary reduction, because we fully understand the exceptional situation we are in," the Argentine star player writes on Instagram.
"We have always done a lot for this club on our own initiative. That is why we are surprised that there are people within the club who are trying to pressure us to do something we have always planned to do. That it may have been a bit long is because we were looking for the perfect solution. "
FC Barcelona is not the only European top club to have to cut salaries because of the corona crisis. The Juventus players and coach Maurizio Sarri also agreed on Saturday to hand in part of their salary. The players of Borussia Dortmund, among others, will also earn less in the coming months.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in our live blog .
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.