Teller Report

Now you can see non-English news...

Career Wozniacki over after loss in Melbourne: 'It had to be that way'

2020-01-24T10:46:31.869Z

Caroline Wozniacki's career is over. The former number one in the world, who had already announced in December that the Grand Slam in Melbourne would be her last tournament, lost to Ons Jabeur in the third round on Friday.



Caroline Wozniacki's career is over. The former number one in the world, who had already announced in December that the Grand Slam in Melbourne would be her last tournament, lost to Ons Jabeur in the third round on Friday.

It was 7-5, 3-6 and 7-5 for the Tunisian number 78 of the world, after which 29-year-old Wozniacki said goodbye to the audience in the presence of, among others, her father and coach Piotr Wozniacki and tournament boss Craig Tiley.

From October 2010 to the end of January 2012, the Danish was almost continuously the number one in the world, but it took a long time before she won a Grand Slam tournament. In 2009 and 2014 she lost the final of the US Open, but two years ago at the Australian Open it was finally hit. In the final battle in Melbourne, she defeated Simona Halep.

It remained with the one Grand Slam title and in 2019 her performance was reduced, which means that Wozniacki is now the number 36 in the world.

Caroline Wozniacki with her family after her defeat against Jabeur. (Photo: Pro Shots)

'It was meant to be'

After her match against Jabeur, Wozniacki emphasized that she could live with the defeat and the farewell. "I fought to the end and I did it again today. I'm known for that," said Wozniacki, who closed the game with an error with her forehand.

"And it is precisely on that forehand that I have worked my entire career. That my last game was a three-seater is also indicative. It is exactly as it should be."

See also: Historical victory Gauff (15) on Osaka, deception Serena Williams in Melbourne

Source: nunl

sports 2020/04/02    

© Communities 2019 - Privacy