National coach Emmanuel Mayonnade has announced the 28-man pre-selection for the World Cup handball in Japan on Friday. Well-known names such as Lois Abbingh, Estavana Polman and Tess Wester are of course part of the corps.
Most notable names in the preselection are Michelle Goos from the German Neckarsulmer SU, Annick Lipman from the Norwegian Byasen Trondheim and Yara ten Holte from the German Borussia Dortmund.
The trio was not yet summoned by Mayonnade, who succeeded Helle Thomsen in February.
Angela Steenbakkers, who was active with the Orange squad two years ago at the World Cup in Germany, is not on the 28-man list. At the beginning of November it will be announced which eighteen players will get a place in the final World Cup selection.
The Netherlands hits Norway in a group phase
The World Cup in Japan starts on November 30 and December 15 is the final battle. The Dutch team is classified in group A with Angola, Cuba, Serbia and Norway, which became world champion four years ago. All duels in this group are played in Kumamoto.
The first three countries from the four groups qualify for the main round and the four semi-finalists remain from that main round.
The best performance of Orange in a World Cup is silver four years ago in Denmark. Two years ago in Germany, the Orange captured World Cup bronze and last year at the European Championships in France it also finished third.
When the Orange becomes Japan's world champion, Mayonnade's team qualifies for the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year. The Netherlands can also take a ticket via an Olympic qualification tournament (OKT).
28-member preselection Orange
- Lois Abbingh (Rostov-Don)
- Delaila Amega (TuS Metzingen)
- Debbie Bont (Kobenhavn Handbold)
- Rinka Duijndam (Borussia Dortmund)
- Kelly Dulfer (Borussia Dortmund)
- Merel Freriks (Borussia Dortmund)
- Michelle Goos (Neckarsulmer SU)
- Tamara Haggerty (TuS Metzingen)
- Laura van der Heijden (SG BBM Bietigheim)
- Yara ten Holte (Borussia Dortmund)
- Dione Housheer (Nykobing)
- Jasmina Jankovic (Frisch Auf Goppingen)
- Lynn Knippenborg (Neckarsulmer SU)
- Jessy Kramer (Toulon)
- Annick Lipman (Byasen Trondheim)
- Angela Malestein (SG BBM Bietigheim)
- Larissa Nusser (Kobenhavn Handbold)
- Estavana Polman (Team Esbjerg)
- Charris Rozemalen (Toulon)
- Martine Smeets (Molde HK)
- Inger Smeets (Borussia Dortmund)
- Danick Snelder (Ferencvaros)
- Zoë Sprengers (VOC)
- Nikita van der Vliet (VOC)
- Kelly Vollebregt (Borussia Dortmund)
- Tess Wester (Odense HC)
- Bo van Wetering (TuS Metzingen)
- Tessa van Zijl (HSG Blomberg-Lippe)