Swedish success duo hope for new medals: "Absolutely have the opportunity"
The long distance gave a Swedish start to the orienteering World Cup in Norwegian Östfold with both gold and silver in the women's class through Tove Alexandersson and Lina Strand. In Friday's medal distance (start 13.45 in SVT1) there are new medal chances. - In the medium distance, it is often much tougher than in the long distance, so there are many who can participate and be missed, says Alexandersson to SVT Sport.
In Wednesday's long distance race, Tove Alexandersson was in a class of her own when she outclassed all competitors and took her fourth straight World Cup gold in the distance. The 26-year-old won by over six minutes, which corresponds to just over one kilometer of running in the forest.
No one has been more superior since Annichen Kringstad won the World Cup gold in 1983.
- Haha, I don't know if I have so much to say about it ... I am very happy with the race, it was a fantastic day, says Alexandersson to SVT Sport."Great fun to still develop"
Despite being in the world top for several years, both she and French technical trainer Thierry Gueorgiou (who himself has 14 World Cup gold in the prize cupboard) feel that she has increased both physically and technically.
- It feels like I'm taking small steps all the time and it's really fun to still be able to develop, says the Swede.
- She is in her best years of her career, she can really control her performance technically. I think we will see more of these achievements from her, ”says Gueorgiou.
Alexandersson: "I take small steps all the time" High expectations for the average distance
The expectations for Friday's average distance race, which will be broadcast live in SVT1 starting at 13.45, are obviously high.
- I hope it will be fun and challenging orientation. In the medium distance, it is often much tougher than in the long distance, so there are many who can join in and make mistakes, says Alexandersson.
Even Lina Strand, who made her life last Wednesday and took silver, believes in the medal.
- I feel that I definitely have the opportunity there too. I have done some really good races for training before the championship so yes, I have high expectations. But the average distance is a shorter race so it gets even tighter. It is important to do the job all the way and certainly also to have the margins on their side again.
Lina Strand hopes for new medal: "Absolutely have the opportunity"