At number six, Gustav Bergman was one second after leading Norwegian junior Kasper Fosser and he showed that he was in the top match.
Then came a mistake from Bergman at check number eight. The seconds ticked away and between control ten and thirteen disappeared another two minutes for the Swede who was thus away from the medal match and ended twelve.
- I don't know what to say. I start getting lactic acid and then I can't get rid of it. It's the worst form of the year right now, no I'm just sorry, he tells SVT Sport after the race."Sure there was little pressure"
The Norwegian and big favorite Olav Lundanes, who had three straight wins at the World Cup long distance before the race, opened stable and then showed world class with a strong finish. At home, he picked home his fourth straight World Cup gold.
- He's absolutely huge. Four on the straight, in home ground, the one he mastered so well, then he is unstoppable, says SVT expert Mats Troeng.
Olav Lundanes was pleased with the race, although he himself thought he might open something slow.
- I got a gap and am very happy with the race. There is a lot of training and preparation behind. We have a very high level of training. When I was younger, the long distance was what I really wanted to win, what you love as a child will bring with you my entire career, ”says Olav Lundanes after the race.
- It was clear that there was some pressure, but I've done it before so I was just trying to repeat it.Albin Ridefelt became the best Swedish
Emil Svensk got a heavy lead with two mistakes on each other, with the other costing almost four minutes. Thereby all the medal chances were gone from the Swede and he finished in place 13.
- It was a pretty good introduction, then I went on a really fat boom, I was so damn angry. I made a mistake on the check before and then I was gone for a long time. It's really sour, he tells SVT Sport.
Albin Ridefelt made a slightly bigger mistake in the middle but finished eight.
- It was a little unnecessary, but otherwise it was good. It was tough but I think I took the time to choose the right route, he tells SVT Sport.
- It is always sad to make such a mistake but with some distance to it I will probably be satisfied.