FC Twente cannot have José Matos for much of this season. The 24-year-old Spanish defender sustained a serious knee injury on Saturday in the away match against FC Groningen (1-3 win).
Matos sustained the injury just before half-time during a duel with FC Groningen-striker Ritsu Doan, a few seconds after Mike te Wierik's hard foul on Haris Vuckic, which earned him a red card.
FC Twente makes no announcements about how long Matos has been eliminated, but according to Tubantia he is out for nine to twelve months and there is a chance that he has already played his last game for the Tukkers.
Matos was rented by FC Twente for one season from FC Cadiz. He had both against FC Groningen and last week against PSV (1-1) a base place as a left back and even delivered an assist against the Eindhoven players.
"José said goodbye in an emotional speech"
Matos is leaving for Spain on Monday where he will be treated on his painful knee and will be rehabilitated at Real Madrid.
"José said goodbye to the players in an emotional speech this afternoon. José made a fantastic impression on the group in the few weeks he was at the club," says technical director Ted van Leeuwen.
"Both inside and outside the field, he is a great boy, he is happy to be seen in the group. That this happens to him is very important. His injury has also left a big impression on the players' group."
FC Twente is said to be looking for a replacement for Matos. The PhD student still has two and a half weeks to do that, since the transfer market will close on 31 August.
See also: Neymar representatives spotted at Camp Nou