Handball World Cup: Germany win against Iceland
The German handball players have successfully started in the main round. After beating Iceland, Germany are on point with France at the top of Group 1.
Germany's handball players won the opening match in Group 1 against Iceland with 24:19 (14:10) at the start of the World Cup main round. Thus, the team of national coach Christian Prokop took over with 5-1 points thanks to the better goal ratio for the time being, the group lead before the tied world champion France. Backcourt player Steffen Fäth with six goals and captain Uwe Gensheimer (5) were the best throwers.
In the morning Prokop had called for World Cup newcomer Franz Semper European champion Kai Häfner in the squad. The 29-year-old from the TSV Hannover-Burgdorf sat like Steffen Weinhold, who was to be spared after his suffered in the France game strain in the adductor area, but initially on the bench.
The DHB selection made a good start, the 5: 2 (7th minute) managed the first three-goal lead. Two time penalties in succession and some missed throws but then favored a 4-0 run the Icelander to 5: 6 (13) Prokop responded with a first break. But it remained tight for now, because the Icelanders barely offered any gaps in the German offensive.
That only changed after a few changes in the German team. Circling Jannik Kohlbacher defended now on the half position and stabilized the defense, in attack Häfner ensured liveliness. In addition, goalkeeper Andreas Wolff increased. So it was with a four-goal cushion in the break, in which the audience sang the 78-handball world champion Joachim Deckarm a serenade to the 65th Birthday.
In the second half, the German team built the lead at 16:11 (36) for the first time on five goals. But the Icelanders did not let up, although their star Aron Palmarsson could not participate in the second half. Thanks to a further strong defense performance, however, the DHB leadership was no longer in danger. In the second major round match on Monday, the German team will also face Croatia in Cologne.
- Handball World Cup: Germany starts with victory against Iceland in the main round 8 months
- Handball World Cup 2019 live: Germany starts against Iceland in the second round 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany's opponent Spain threatens Aus after failure against France 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany inspired by indoor atmosphere 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Iceland is Germany's first opponent in the main round 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany clearly win against Serbia 8 months
- Handball World Cup duel against Croatia: So Germany can make the semi 8 months
- Handball World Cup 2019 in Liveticker: Germany meets Croatia 8 months
- Handball World Cup: Germany after victory against Croatia prematurely in the semifinals 8 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Germany defeats Croatia 8 months
- Handball World Cup: To smooch 8 months