Handball World Cup: Germany prevails against Korea
In the opening match of the World Cup, the German handball players will live up to their role as favorites. For a single minute, the entire Korean team is in the lead.
The German national handball team has decided the first game of the World Cup for themselves: Against Korea, the team of national coach Christian Prokop won 30:19 (17:10).
The first goal of the tournament was achieved by Jung Suyoung for the Korean selection after a few seconds - the very short lead for Korea, a minute later Patrick Wiencek made up and brought Germany into the lead. The most goals for the German team scored captain Uwe Gensheimer with seven goals. Good performances were also shown by the German goalkeepers Andreas Wolff and Silvio Heinevetter. In total, all 16 players of the German squad were used.
The opponents from Korea were playful, but put a political signal: For the first time sat the Korean team from South and North Koreans together. Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee, was delighted with this first joint appearance of the Korean handball teams: "It's a great sign when a united Korea team is playing in the formerly divided city of Berlin," said Bach, who opened the opening fixture watched from the bleachers.
"May the best team win"
The 26th World Handball Championship, which takes place in Germany and Denmark until 27 January, had been opened in Berlin with a show. Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier had welcomed the visitors: "We look forward to an exciting tournament and fair games." May the best team win. "
The next game of the German national team is on Saturday at 18.15 clock against Brazil. Other group opponents are Russia, defending champion France and Serbia.
- Handball World Cup: Germany celebrates clear opening victory against Korea 7 months
- Handball World Cup live scores: Germany vs. Korea 7 months
- Germany, Denmark and the advantage of the organizing countries in the Handball World Cup 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Germany and Christian Prokop dare the restart 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: France and Denmark top favorites, Germany in fifth place 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Everything important for the tournament in Germany and Denmark 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: What Germany takes from the opening victory against Korea 7 months
- Handball World Cup: France star Karabatic could play at the World Cup 7 months
- Handball World Cup live scores: Germany vs. Brazil 7 months
- Second victory in the Handball World Cup: Germany leaves Brazil no chance 7 months
- Handball World Cup: Uwe Gensheimer leads Germany to the second victory 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: What Germany learns from the win against Brazil 7 months
- Handball World Cup 2019: Germany wins against Brazil 7 months