Ukraine attacked overnight by dozens of Russian drones, 26 shot down
Russia attacked Ukraine with 38 Shahed drones overnight, the Ukrainian Air Force said on Tuesday (September 26th), claiming that 26 of these aircraft had been shot down.
Odessa firefighters in action on September 25, 2023 after massive Russian attacks on the Ukrainian port. © AFP PHOTO / Ukrainian Emergency Service
By: RFI Follow
On Telegram, in its daily report, the Ukrainian Air Force wrote that "the launches of 38 Shahed (...) were registered during the night of September 26-26, adding that Ukrainian defenses had destroyed 26 of these Iranian-made devices. It is the Odessa region (south) is one of the positions hit in the night by Russian forces.
Two hours of assault
The assault, which targeted the port of Izmail, lasted two hours, regional governor Oleg Kiper reported on Telegram, saying that "most of the drones" had been shot down. "Unfortunately, the port infrastructure was affected," he said, adding that two truck drivers were injured, including one hospitalized. A checkpoint and warehouses, as well as about thirty trucks, were damaged, he said.
The river port of Izmail, located on the Danube on the border with NATO member Romania, has become one of the main export routes for Ukrainian agricultural products on the Black Sea after the agreement that allowed Ukraine to freely transit its production was abandoned in July. Russian assaults in the southern regions of Odessa and Mykolaiv have multiplied since then.
► Read also: Ukraine: Russia attacks Odessa again using drones and missiles
This new offensive comes after a Russian attack described as "massive" by the Odessa authorities on Monday, September 25. The area was then attacked by 19 Shahed drones and missiles, including two supersonic Onyx. Also in the south, in the Kherson region, four people were wounded after Russian attacks on Monday night, according to Governor Oleksandr Prokudin. In the Dnipropetrovsk region, the city of Kryvyi Rig was hit by a ballistic missile, according to initial information transmitted early Tuesday by the head of the local military administration, Oleksandr Vilkul. "There are no casualties," he reported on Telegram, adding that Nikopol district had also been hit, again without casualties.
" READ ALSO Ukraine: a UN commission of inquiry accuses Russia again of war crimes
NewsletterReceive all the international news directly in your mailbox
Follow all the international news by downloading the RFI application
Read on on the same topics: