45 members of the Joint Palestinian Security Force deployed in a number of neighborhoods of Ain al-Hilweh Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon on Tuesday, in implementation of the decision of the Palestinian Joint Action Committee reached on 14 of this month to establish security in the camp.
Joint Security Force commander Mahmoud al-Ajouri said the deployment of security personnel is a first step, followed by the withdrawal of militants from UNRWA schools and the deployment of security force personnel in its vicinity.
Fouad Othman, a member of the Joint Palestinian Action Committee, said the deployment of the joint force aims to reassure residents, repatriate displaced persons and call on UNRWA to secure funds to repair what was destroyed by the recent clashes, Lebanon's official media agency reported.
The media office of Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri announced on September 14 that a ceasefire had been reached in Ain al-Hilweh camp, which would take effect from the same day.
The ceasefire came after clashes since the beginning of July between militants of the Palestinian National Liberation Movement (Fatah) and a group calling itself "Muslim Youth", which began with the assassination of the commander of the national security forces in the Fatah camp, Abu Ashraf al-Armouchi, and four of his companions.
The clashes killed 29 people, injured more than 200 and displaced dozens of families.
Ain al-Hilweh is one of the largest Palestinian camps in Lebanon, along with 11 other camps, with an estimated 300,<> Palestinian refugees in the country.