During the 1800s and the first half of the 1900s, a large proportion of wetlands in Sweden were drained to create new arable and pasture land. According to one expert, as much as 90 percent of natural wetlands have disappeared.

The task of the wetland is, among other things, to receive and retain water in the ground. A positive effect of this is a better habitat for many different species that cannot survive in a dry forest environment. Another advantage is that a wetter landscape reduces the risk of forest fire.

How big the wetland between Rönnby and Gryta will be

The wetland will be about 1.5 hectares in size and will be located next to the jogging tracks in the area.

The project, which will cost SEK 1.8 million, is 90 percent financed by state LONA money through the County Administrative Board, while the City of Västerås will provide the remaining 10 percent, corresponding to SEK 180,000.

"Looking for new modes"

In Frösåker Nature Reserve, two wetlands have been strengthened and plans to establish more are already in place.

"We are constantly looking for new locations on agricultural land. There are a lot of nutrients that end up in the ground, says Susanna Hansen, water coordinator at the City of Västerås.

In the clip, the water coordinator responds to the criticism that the wetlands attract mosquitoes.

Photo: Robert Gustavsson/SVT