The Japanese government and TEPCO (referred to as TEPCO) continue to push forward the preparations for the discharge of Fukushima nuclear contaminated water into the sea, and they continue to be widely condemned and questioned.
The international community generally believes that Japan's actions are extremely irresponsible, which will cause radioactive pollution to the marine ecological environment and ultimately endanger human health.
Various parties urged the Japanese government to study alternative treatment options.
"The idea of resolutely opposing the discharge of nuclear-contaminated water into the sea has not changed"
Since the beginning of August this year, TEPCO officially launched the subsea tunnel project for the discharge of nuclear contaminated water, and relevant preparations have not stopped.
Recently, TEPCO installed a "caisson" at the exit of the subsea tunnel 1 km away from the coast of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. The exit of the tunnel for discharging nuclear contaminated water will be connected to it. "The upper part was discharged into the ocean.
According to a recent report by Japan's "Fukushima Citizens Daily", in order to shorten the construction period of the nuclear-contaminated water discharge tunnel, TEPCO will install drainage tanks inside the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant in advance, which is a necessary process before nuclear-contaminated water enters the subsea tunnel. , originally planned to start construction in March next year.
Japan has repeatedly reiterated its opposition to the plan to discharge nuclear contaminated water into the sea.
Not long ago, the administrative heads of 13 local governments in Iwate Prefecture held a meeting and reached a consensus that they would continue to oppose the nuclear contaminated water discharge plan of the Japanese government and TEPCO.
Previously, Yoshihiro Murai, governor of Miyagi Prefecture, made it clear to the Japanese central government and TEPCO: "The people of Miyagi Prefecture oppose the discharge of nuclear-contaminated water into the sea and will oppose it to the end." The fishery output of Miyagi Prefecture ranks among the best in Japan. People in the fishing industry in the area, the county government, and the county council clearly opposed the plan to discharge nuclear-contaminated water into the sea.
In September 2017 and March 2020, the Miyagi County Assembly passed the opinion paper "opposing nuclear contaminated water discharge plan" with unanimous votes.
The Miyagi government insisted on asking the Japanese central government to study alternative treatment options for nuclear contaminated water other than discharging it into the sea.
Fishing groups have also voiced staunch opposition.
On November 22, Japanese Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Yasutoshi Nishimura held talks with Masanobu Sakamoto, chairman of the National Federation of Fisheries Associations of Japan (referred to as the National Federation of Fisheries Associations), and said that the Japanese government will set up a 50 billion yen in the second supplementary budget for 2022. (1 U.S. dollar is about 132 yen) The new fund is used to subsidize the fuel cost of fishing boats and seeks the understanding of fishing groups on the plan to discharge nuclear contaminated water.
Masanobu Sakamoto issued a statement saying that the All-Fishing Federation's position against the discharge of nuclear-contaminated water has not changed.
Earlier, the Japanese government and TEPCO held a briefing in Mito City, Ibaraki Prefecture, to explain the sea discharge plan to relevant fishery groups.
Masami Toda, president of the Federation of Fisheries Associations in Ibaraki Coastal Areas who attended the briefing, said that the discharge of nuclear-contaminated water into the sea will have an impact on the lives of future generations. .”
"The Japanese government has not learned the lessons of the Fukushima accident"
A few days ago, the Japanese media published an article exposing the fact that TEPCO created a false image of the safety of nuclear-polluted water to mislead the public.
"Tokyo Shimbun" stated that when TEPCO received visitors to visit the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, the radiation dose detector used for demonstration could not detect radioactive tritium at all, and could only react to radioactive cesium whose concentration exceeded a certain limit.
TEPCO tried to "prove" the safety of the treated nuclear-contaminated water to visitors.
It is reported that since July 2020, TEPCO has conducted demonstrations to about 15,000 visitors.
Japanese experts criticized and pointed out that this is a misleading propaganda for the implementation of the plan to discharge nuclear contaminated water into the sea.
Katsumi Azumi, a scholar in environmental analytical chemistry at the University of Tokyo, said Tepco's demonstration was "completely meaningless" from a scientific point of view.
Hideyuki Ban, a joint representative of the Japanese non-profit organization Nuclear Energy Information Office, recently wrote an article in the Japanese environmental science professional newspaper "Environmental News", calling on the Japanese government to abandon the plan to discharge nuclear contaminated water into the sea.
According to the article, nuclear-contaminated water still contains 64 kinds of radioactive substances such as radioactive tritium after treatment. No matter how the nuclear-contaminated water is diluted, the total amount of radioactive substances discharged remains unchanged.
Once discharged into the sea, the marine environment will be radioactively polluted and accumulated through the food chain, which will eventually have a negative impact on human health and the ecological environment.
"It is very irresponsible for Japan to insist on promoting the plan to discharge nuclear polluted water into the sea. The Japanese government and TEPCO have not reached a consensus with relevant parties, and the Japanese government has not learned the lessons of the Fukushima nuclear power plant accident." Ban Yingxing appealed to the Japanese government and TEPCO Listen to the voices of fishery organizations and civic groups, change strategies, and adopt other more appropriate treatment methods to prevent the further increase of nuclear-contaminated water and protect the marine environment from radioactive pollution.
"Violated the principle of prior prevention and other treatment unanimously recognized by the international community"
On December 15, when meeting with Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, South Korean President Yoon Suk-yue conveyed the concerns of the Korean people about the discharge of Fukushima nuclear contaminated water into the sea, and called on the International Atomic Energy Agency to verify the nuclear pollution from a scientific and objective perspective. The problem of polluted water discharge into the sea.
"Korea Economic News" published an article a few days ago, stating that relevant studies believe that if Fukushima nuclear contaminated water is discharged into the sea, it will reach South Korean waters such as Jeju in about seven months.
Not only South Korea's Jeju area, South Korea's aquatic industry, but even South Korea's tourism industry will suffer considerable losses.
A South Korean foreign ministry official recently stated that Japan needs to deal with this issue with scientific and objective standards under the strict monitoring of the international community, including the International Atomic Energy Agency.
The report released by the international environmental protection agency Greenpeace shows that the technology currently adopted by Japan cannot deal with strontium-90 and carbon-14 in nuclear-contaminated water. The half-lives of these two radionuclides are 50 years and 5730 years respectively, which are more harmful than tritium. sex.
The Seoul office of the organization stated that the danger of nuclear-contaminated water discharge into the sea is very obvious. In the case of alternatives such as long-term storage of nuclear-contaminated water, "the Japanese government's nuclear-contaminated water discharge plan violates the consensus of the international community. The principle of prevention and other treatment in advance”.
On December 8, representatives of the Pacific Islands Forum made a speech at the United Nations Conference commemorating the 40th anniversary of the adoption of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, pointing out that future nuclear pollution should avoid transboundary and intergenerational impacts on the Pacific Ocean, and reaffirming that international consultations should be ensured on nuclear pollution issues , international law and the importance of independent and verifiable scientific assessments.
The Nuclear Contaminated Water Expert Group of the Pacific Islands Forum pointed out that there is still not enough data to confirm that Japan’s discharge of nuclear contaminated water is safe for the people in the region and marine biodiversity. other options.
"We cannot turn a blind eye to unimaginable threats such as nuclear pollution, ocean pollution, and ultimately the destruction of the Pacific Ocean." Panuelo, President of the Federated States of Micronesia, a Pacific island country, said in a speech at the United Nations General Assembly in September. West Asia expressed "deep concern" over Japan's decision to discharge into the ocean nuclear-contaminated water treated by a so-called "advanced liquid treatment system".
"This decision has repercussions that transcend borders and generations. I cannot allow the destruction of marine resources that sustain people's livelihoods," Panuelo said.
(Newspaper, Tokyo, December 20th)
Our reporter Yue Linwei