About 100 million yen worth of jewelry was stolen from a jewelry store in Omotesando, Tokyo seven years ago, and three men of British nationality who were internationally arranged by the Metropolitan Police Department were detained in England. .

Deliberations over the extradition to Japan are being held locally, and a decision is expected to be made in January.

In November 2015, a group of three men broke into a high-end jewelry store in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo, beat a security guard and seriously injured them, and took away diamond rings, necklaces, and other items worth approximately 100 million yen. .

In this case, five years ago, the Metropolitan Police Department issued arrest warrants for three men, all of British nationality, on suspicion of robbery and injury. NHK's coverage revealed that he was detained in England.

Currently, a trial over extradition to Japan is being held in a London court, and at the trial on the 2nd, the defense side was forced to confess after a long police interrogation, and ▼ 99 He complained that there are human rights concerns, such as being tried in a court system where more than 10% are found guilty.

In response, a representative of the Japanese government explained that, in principle, the interrogation would be videotaped, and that if the credibility of the confession was questioned, it would not be used as evidence. We have to be more certain,” he said.

In the hearing, it is expected that one of the three will be judged in January.

What is the Omotesando jewelry robbery?

This incident happened seven years ago in November at a luxury jewelry store in Omotesando Hills, a commercial facility in Omotesando, Tokyo.

A group of three men disguised as customers broke into the store, beat a security guard and seriously injured him, then took away about 100 million yen worth of diamond rings and necklaces.

It only takes a few minutes to break in and escape.

While one of the three was punching the security guard, the other two were breaking the display case and stealing the product. It is

As a result of analyzing security camera footage, the Metropolitan Police Department identified a trio of British nationals who entered Japan from Narita Airport two days before the incident and left for the United Kingdom two days after the incident.

An arrest warrant was obtained on suspicion of robbery and injury, and an international arrangement was made through ICPO (International Criminal Police Organization).

According to the Metropolitan Police Department, after the international arraignment, executives visited the UK, provided investigative materials to the local authorities, explained that they were suspects in a robbery case in Japan, and requested their extradition. is.

Unlike the United States and South Korea, Japan and the United Kingdom do not have a treaty regarding the extradition of suspects.

If the handover is realized in this case, it will be the first case in which a suspect of the other nationality is handed over to a country with which no treaty has been concluded.