The short circuit of the lights of a Christmas tree caused a fire in an apartment in Avola, in the Syracuse area, last night.

Police officers rushed to the scene, where they saved six people including a pregnant woman. 

Once inside the apartment, the officers rescued three people who were on the ground floor.

After having made the house safe, by disconnecting the electricity meter and closing the gas cylinder, with the help of the firefighters who put out the flames, they went up to the first floor, also saving the pregnant woman and the husband.

Finally, the policemen rescued a sixth person who had taken refuge under the stairs.