Seven years ago in France, in a trial of the terrorist attacks that killed 130 people, a court in Paris sentenced the defendant, who is the only survivor of the perpetrator, to an indefinite imprisonment that does not allow parole in principle. I handed it over.

This is the heaviest sentence in France, which has abolished the death penalty.

In the November 2015 Paris terrorist attacks, restaurants and concert halls were attacked by members of the militant group IS = Islamic State, killing 130 people and killing 130 people, Sara Abdeslam, the only survivor of the perpetrator. Twenty people, including the defendant (32), have been accused of terrorism and conspiring to terrorism.

The case was tried in a court in Paris on the 29th, and the presiding judge said that Abdeslam procured raw materials for explosives and cars, and sent the members to the scene of the terrorist attack. He pointed out that he played an important role.

After that, he sentenced Abdeslam to an indefinite imprisonment, which in principle does not allow parole, as requested by the prosecution.

This is the heaviest sentence in France, which has abolished the death penalty.

Regarding the simultaneous terrorist incident, the Orlando administration at that time declared a state of emergency, which triggered a significant strengthening of anti-terrorism measures. It had a great impact on society, such as stretching it.

What is the terrorist attacks?

In the November 2015 Paris attacks in France, eight places, including a crowded concert hall, were attacked by members of the militant group IS on weekend nights.

The incident began with a suicide bombing near a soccer stadium on the outskirts of Paris, after which men who drove to bars and restaurants in the center of Paris fired guns one after another.

The worst damage was in a concert hall in Paris, where about 1,500 people were enjoying playing a rock band, and three men shot guns and self-destructed, killing a total of 90 people, many. Someone was injured.

The number of victims of the series of incidents is 130.

In response to the incident, the Hollande administration at that time declared a state of emergency throughout the country and strengthened counter-terrorism measures such as border control and crackdown on radicals, and European countries also increased their vigilance.

In France, the far-right party, which appealed for anti-Islam and immigration exclusion, rapidly gained support in subsequent elections, which had a great impact on society.

Nine of the perpetrators, including the Moroccan Belgian man who was the mastermind of the case, died in a suicide bombing and a gun battle with police, but the only survivor of the perpetrator group, the Moroccan French Sarah. Abdeslam was arrested four months after the incident.

Defendant Abdeslam said his brother was one of the perpetrators and had a close relationship with the mastermind man, and in September last year when the trial had just begun, he described his occupation as "an IS combatant" and at the time of the terrorist attack in France. He repeatedly provocatively said, "The first attack was France," accusing the military of the airstrikes on IS in Syria.

However, in April, he apologized for the first time, saying, "I would like to apologize to all the victims." He said he stayed.

On the other hand, the prosecution pointed out the contradiction of the defendant's testimony, saying, "I was aiming for the chance of the next attack by joining other terrorists the day after the incident," in a parole sentence on the 10th of this month. He demanded an indefinite imprisonment that does not allow parole in principle, saying, "I am faithful to radical ideas."


In the trial that began last September, many victims and bereaved families have been hearing and testifying.

Of these, Fred Dwild, 56, who lives in Paris, encountered terrorism in a concert hall where 90 people were killed.

He was saved by being caught in the people who fell into the ammunition as the gunshots and explosions echoed.

He wasn't injured, but he suffered from a flashback of the incident, forcing him to quit his job as a graphic designer.

What has plagued Mr. Dwild most is the "guilt" that he was saved in his 50s when the young man next to him died.

Mr. Dwild continues to draw pictures of the incident, of which his work on the theme of guilt depicts himself reaching out from the overlapping people in black and white.

"The fight against the incident was painful and I wanted to die to get rid of that anguish," said Dwild, who says that seven years after the incident, guilt still weighs heavily on him.

Mr. Dwild listened to the trial of the case for the first time in May.

He was afraid that the memory of the case would be revived again, but he said that he would listen to the judgment in court to find a hint as to whether the day would come when he would be released from the guilt that continued to afflict him.

"I want to know how the wounds left by the criminal have affected my life. It's important that the decision is a punishment for sin," said Dwild.