The Sudanese authorities announced - on Sunday - a ban on gatherings in central Khartoum, ahead of demonstrations called by the Coordination of the Resistance Committees to demand "civilian rule", while the head of the Transitional Sovereignty Council in Sudan, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, dismissed for the second time the director of radio and television.
In a statement, the Khartoum State Security Committee called on the citizens to gather processions (demonstrations) in public squares in the localities on Monday, in coordination with its security committees, and to stay away from hospitals and educational institutions.
She added that the central Khartoum area, from the railway in the south to the General Command in the east, to the Nile Street in the north, gatherings are not allowed there.
The committee called on the demonstrators to "commit to peace in the processions", stressing that it will carry out its duties towards securing the processions and gatherings and enabling them to deliver their message.
Earlier on Sunday, the Khartoum Resistance Committees Coordination called for participation in the "April 11 Million", which coincides with the date of the ouster of former President Omar al-Bashir in 2019.
The coordination said in a statement that the Sudanese people took their first steps to overthrow President Omar al-Bashir three years ago, and their revolution will not be completed until all manifestations of dictatorship and military oppression fall, and peace and democracy prevail in the country, according to the statement.
After 3 decades of rule, and following popular protests condemning the deteriorating economic situation, the army removed former President Al-Bashir from the presidency on April 11, 2019, and he was imprisoned with other members of his regime.
In a related context, the President of the Sovereign Council, Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, issued a decision relieving Luqman Ahmed Mohamed from his post as director of the Public Authority for Radio and Television.
A statement issued by Al-Burhan's office said that he appointed Ibrahim Muhammad Ibrahim Al-Baz'i as director of the Public Authority for Radio and Television. The statement did not explain the reason for relieving Luqman from his position.
Al-Burhan had previously decided - while he was army chief - to dismiss Luqman after exceptional measures he imposed on October 25, 2021.
But then Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdouk restored Luqman to his position, after Al-Burhan and Hamdok signed - on November 21 last - an agreement to address the political crisis in the country.
However, Hamdok resigned from his position on January 2, 2022, in light of the deepening crisis.
Since October 25, 2021, Sudan has witnessed protests calling for civilian rule and rejecting exceptional measures, most notably the imposition of a state of emergency and the dissolution of the Sovereignty Council and the Transitional Ministers.
Al-Burhan denied the validity of his accusation of carrying out a "military coup", and said that he had taken measures to "correct the course of the transitional phase", and pledged to hand over power through elections or national consensus.
Since August 21, 2019, Sudan has been going through a 53-month transitional period, ending with elections in early 2024.Keywords: