<Anchor>



Japan has decided to recommend the Sado Mine, where Koreans were forced to mobilize during the Japanese colonial period, as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was initially decided to withhold the recommendation, but then changed its position, but the Korean government called the Japanese ambassador, expressed strong regret, and demanded that it be stopped immediately.



Correspondent Kim A-young.



<Reporter>



Aiboshi, the Japanese ambassador to Korea, comes in with a stiff face.



[Aiboshi/Koichi, Ambassador of Japan: I have nothing to say right now. (Are you not there now?)]



When the Japanese government officially announced that they would promote the proposal to list the Sado Mine as a World Heritage Site, the government summoned them to protest.



The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Second Vice Minister Choi Jong-moon delivered a message of strong regret and protest.



He also said that he demanded that Japan immediately stop trying to inscribe it on the World Heritage List while ignoring the painful history of forced labor.



Until recently, the Japanese government had been refusing to recommend this year's World Heritage nominations due to Korean opposition, but yesterday (28th) abruptly changed its position.



[Kishida/Prime Minister of Japan: It is concluded that applying for this year and starting discussions early this year is the shortcut to realizing registration.]



As a result of being aware of the successive opposition from conservative members of the LDP including former Prime Minister Abe ahead of the summer House of Councilors election looks like



The Japanese government is expected to follow up with a decision to make a recommendation at the government cabinet, which is equivalent to our cabinet meeting, next Tuesday.



The government has decided to set up a separate team with the participation of relevant ministries and experts to respond to Japan's movements.

Keywords: