In the end, it was a chess platform and linguistic reports that Alexander M. found from the investigators' point of view.

M., an unemployed Berliner, who had attracted attention in the past because he threatened a Würzburg lawyer who was representing a refugee.

He should have an absolutely "eloquent demeanor".

Investigators say that it is easy for him to deceive others.

For example, pretending to be an employee of official authorities.

That should have been his scam in this case too.

Katharina Iskandar

Editor in the Rhein-Main-Zeitung.

  • Follow I follow

Under a legend, he called police stations and probably other authorities and obtained information about his victims.

These included the Frankfurt lawyer Seda Basay-Yildiz, the left-wing politician Janine Wissler and the cabaret artist Idil Baydar.

Then he wrote threatening letters to them, signed NSU 2.0.

The language was coarse.

Insults such as "Turkish swine", "Shitty Turks", "People's pest", caraway dealer "," brain-dead shit kebab "and" waste products "were in the letters.

There were threats, among other things, with "Better piss off while you get out of here alive" or that family members would be "slaughtered with barbaric sadistic severity".

The letters were signed with "Heil Hitler" or "SS-Obersturmbannführer".

Unanswered questions

As early as May, when the fifty-three-year-old was arrested in his Berlin apartment, the investigators of the "AG 211" had left no doubt that they consider the accused to be the perpetrator. For the sole author of the threatening letters. The police, it was said at the time, saw one “rehabilitated”. The indictment now also states that it is assumed that the accused acted alone. "The initial suspicion that police officers could have been involved in the data retrieval in a criminally relevant manner has not been confirmed," said a spokesman. From the Ministry of the Interior it is said that Hessian police officers were "at no point in time the sender or the person involved in the crime". However, it cannot be ruled out that they were unconsciously involved in obtaining the data.It may never be possible to clarify what role the queries actually played in the police stations.

The indictment now follows the theory of the investigators: Alexander M., under a legend, also called the 1st police station in August 2018 to query the data of the lawyer Seda Basay-Yildiz and her entire family. The query lasted about ten minutes. That could be reconstructed later. Whoever answered the alleged fake call - suspicious that a whole family of the lawyer, who was already known from the NSU trial, including a small child, was not the officer. The investigators of the "AG 211" in the Hessian State Criminal Police Office had called their colleagues at that time "victims", equal to those of a fraud.

Seda Basay-Yildiz, who told the FAZ on Thursday after the public prosecutor's office reported on the indictment, that she no longer expects all the details of the threatening letters and their origin to come to light, continues to demand clarification. But she doesn't believe that Alexander M. acted alone. There are still two specific questions that have remained unanswered. On the one hand, how it could be that their new address, which was blocked after the move, could get into circulation. On the other hand, the role of the 1st Frankfurt Police Station has still not been determined for them. She asked herself how it could be that such an extensive query was made there, allegedly from "outside", and no one remembers.Later, a right-wing extremist chat group was identified in this area of ​​all places.

Every word left its mark

Meanwhile, Alexander M. is silent.

He will presumably not be able to find out from him exactly how he proceeded and how he obtained the data in detail.

According to reports, there is some connection data that shows which calls he made.

But no more phone data could have been reconstructed for the 1st district, according to investigators.

So far, none of the officers can remember a corresponding call.

After the arrest of Alexander M., the investigators had hoped someone would come back.

The public prosecutor's office, on the other hand, has had a "period of intense investigations," as the authorities say. The case had "high priority", it had always been said. The responsible chief prosecutor, Sinan Akdogan, said in the summer that the investigators were not sparing themselves. Chief Public Prosecutor Nadja Niesen, who, as the agency's spokeswoman, announced the indictment on Thursday, emphasized once again that “everything that the Code of Criminal Procedure has given has been done”. It was a difficult investigation. The author of the threatening letters had managed over a long period of time to keep him from being discovered. Among other things, he sent the letters via encrypted providers. But his “peculiar language” finally betrayed him. He used the internet a lot. Every word left its mark.