Before, during and after Feyenoord's home game against 1. FC Union Berlin on Thursday, the police arrested a total of 75 people.

The largest group, consisting of 59 fans of the German football club, was arrested in the Rotterdam district of Lombardijen.

They would have been out for a confrontation with Feyenoord fans.

"The fans had all kinds of stuff with them that indicated that they wanted to start a confrontation. They walked a certain route in the Lombardijen district, on their way to Feyenoord cafes. That was enough reason for us, in consultation with the Public Prosecution Service. to apprehend the group," said the police spokesman.

The 59 detainees were taken to the police station.

This group has since been released.

The other sixteen were mainly arrested before the game by the police.

They are suspected of offenses such as vandalism, insult and possession of fireworks.

It has not been announced whether they are still in custody.


View the summary of Feyenoord-Union Berlin (3-1) here

Also unrest around De Kuip

It became uneasy in the vicinity of De Kuip, among other things, when a group of hundreds of German supporters walked in a procession from the Oude Haven towards the stadium.

The Mobile Unit accompanied the procession.

When it became too elongated on the Oranjeboomstraat, the riot police asked the leading group to stand still so that the group stayed together.

"That fell on the wrong ground, and the leading group started hitting the riot police," said the spokesman.

The riot police then restored order by hitting back with batons, the police said.

They were helped by a police dog, which bit three Union supporters and unintentionally an riot police officer.

All four of them were checked and treated by paramedics and did not have to go to hospital.

The German fans were arrested after their medical treatment.

Because the journey from the Oude Haven took a long time, part of the group of supporters had to wait in front of the stadium during the match to enter.

While waiting, the supporters set off fireworks.

A police horse was startled, causing the horse and the officer both to fall and suffer minor injuries.

The events followed an incident on Wednesday evening in which a group of hooligans attacked a delegation from the German club in a catering facility in the center of Rotterdam.

The group of 25 people, including chairman Dirk Zingler and board member Oskar Kosche, were pelted with chairs and glasses.

Keywords: fc union berlin, home game, group, fans, feyenoord, football club, district, police, football supporters, match, german, total, people, feyenoord-union berlin, detainees