Today, Sunday, the Islamic State organization claimed responsibility for a series of bombings in the city of Jalalabad, eastern Afghanistan, which left a number of dead and wounded.
The organization said - in a statement broadcast on social media - that the attacks led to the death and injury of more than 35 Taliban militants on Saturday and Sunday, but the movement did not issue any statement in this regard.
A security source told Al Jazeera today that dead and wounded people were killed in the explosion of a car bomb for members of the Taliban in Jalalabad, Nangarhar province, and this bombing is the sixth of its kind in the city in less than 24 hours.
Afghan media said that another explosion occurred in the Shirzad district of Nangarhar province, but no casualties were reported.
Yesterday, Saturday, a series of explosions rocked several regions in Afghanistan. 3 people were killed and others wounded, including policemen, in explosions targeting a police convoy and a hospital in Jalalabad.
In the west of the capital, Kabul, Al-Jazeera correspondent reported that two people were injured when a car bomb exploded in Dasht-e Barashi, known as the "13th Security Zone".
UN envoy to the Taliban
Parallel to these security events, efforts are underway at various levels to deliver humanitarian aid to Afghanistan.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he has sent the relief coordinator to the Afghan capital, Kabul, to speak to Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, acting deputy prime minister in the Taliban's caretaker government, and acting Interior Minister Sirajuddin Haqqani, among others.
Guterres confirmed - in an interview with CNN - that the United Nations is in contact with the Taliban in order to distribute humanitarian aid.
He added that the Taliban should respect the rights of women and be careful not to be a safe haven for terrorists in order to enjoy international solidarity and recognition, as he put it.
He stressed that he could not ask the United Nations to solve all the problems that several countries have not been able to solve in Afghanistan for decades.
In the meantime, Afghan women activists protested in front of the Ministry of Women's Affairs building in Kabul on Sunday after the Taliban closed the ministry the day before yesterday, Friday, and put a banner on it "Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice."
Activists demanded to ensure women's participation in political life (Reuters)
Reuters estimated the number of the protesters at 24 activists, and one of them said, "The Ministry of Women's Affairs must be reopened...Excluding women means excluding human beings."
The protest came a day after some girls returned to separate classes in primary schools.
On the other hand, the evacuations are continuing, as the fourth Qatari flight left Kabul today, carrying Afghan nationals, Americans and Europeans, to Doha, with more than 230 passengers on board.
And Lolwa Al-Khater, Assistant Foreign Minister of Qatar, indicated - in a tweet on Twitter today - that this flight by Qatar Airways from Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul carries citizens from Afghanistan, the United States, Germany, Belgium, Ireland, Canada, France, Italy, Britain, Finland and the Netherlands.
Qatar Airways organized the fourth evacuation flight since the withdrawal of US forces (Reuters)
With this number, the flight was described as the largest evacuation flight since the end of the process of withdrawing US forces from Afghanistan at the end of last August.
Since the Taliban took control of Afghanistan last month with the withdrawal of foreign forces, the State of Qatar has played a major role in facilitating the evacuation of citizens from Afghanistan and Western countries through Doha.Keywords: